Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Pack Goats

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2013, 11:44 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Pack Goats

looking forward to your updates. I hope to be in the goats by next fall as well!

Scot E.
Old 08-27-2013, 01:12 PM
Silver Member

I am on the fence about letting them go, but I might be selling my 2 goats. They 50/50 oberhasle alpine mix. I have a young family and a busy job so the goats aren't getting the time they deserve. These 2 went on 3 hunts last year and performed well. If I decide to sell, you guys will be the first to know. brent
Old 08-27-2013, 01:37 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho Sawyer View Post
I am on the fence about letting them go, but I might be selling my 2 goats. They 50/50 oberhasle alpine mix. I have a young family and a busy job so the goats aren't getting the time they deserve. These 2 went on 3 hunts last year and performed well. If I decide to sell, you guys will be the first to know. brent
NTBM (Not To Be Mean) You are thinking a bit like a girl i.e., my wife and the girls I got my goats from. Wife forces me, if I haven't visited with the goats, what ever that is, I have to go out and spend some time with them. Other wise wiffe holds a grudge.

Goats are perfectly content when left alone with enough feed to keep them going and restrained enough to not be a bother to neighbors.

After a couple of goats have gone on two or three hunts they are worth way more than those who don't appreciate will pay.

Not until the point were I can't walk will I let these goats go.

BTW, if trained for it they will run to keep up with you when you're in a hurry.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:28 PM
Silver Member

I feel I have trained them well, they have been around a lot of dead stuff and will give it there all to keep up, The country I hunt is very demanding (salmon river breaks) So I am just missing the normal routine of PT for these guys before the season opens. I really enjoy them and that is why I am on the fence. It has been one hell of a fire season so up to this point I lacking on my elk scouting\preseason goat PT
Old 09-18-2013, 02:53 PM
Silver Member

After spending a couple hours at Roy's house yesterday I came home and started looking up "pack goats". I read this whole thread and just finished it. After mentioning the goats to my wife and getting a lecture about it I think I might have to invest in a couple. It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission right?

I wanted to see if there are any around and found an ad on Craigslist for a guy selling some alpine wethers for $15. Here it is:

Alpine Wethers

Roy- What do you think about these goats? After looking around different places it sounds like they would be good ones. My daughter is excited about the possibility of getting some new critters as we lost both our family dogs in the last year.

I am eager to try hunting with goats because it sounds like fun. I guess if I get some of those it will be a long time before I can use them for packing it sounds like. I will just keep looking for older ones I guess. Thanks for all the good info on this thread.

Brandon
Old 09-18-2013, 11:02 PM
Platinum Member

Regardless of what people say goat breeds have different characteristics while under the general genus of being a goat.

A well conditioned goat will pack 1/3 of its weight pretty much all day over some tough terrain. More for short hauls.

To determine weight.

Weight = (girth x girth x distance from point of shoulder to base of tail)/300. Measurements in inches.

Sanaans are pretty much like an ox, as far as goats go. They follow well, are calm and easy to handle. They are the largest breed. My biggest goes about 240 and there are plenty larger. I just can't find 'em.

Sanaans are white or cream colored. Hunters don't seem to like their color as much as the other breed's

A down side of sanaans is that their feet need trimmed way too often.

Alpines are great also. My first goat was a 150 pound Alpine doe. Alpines seem to have a bit of an attitude when it comes to packing. They seem to have more "go". Feet also need trimming too often. It's hard to find a large Alpine around here.

I'm thinking 175 pounds is minimum for me. Personal preference.

The two LaManchas I have are great goats too. Feet don't need trimming as often. They have no ears and look a bit dorky.

The shorter the goat the shorter the fence needed. The two large ones easily clear a 5' fence. Way too damn often. Then they go straight for the wife's ornamental flower posts. Way bad juju.

A good goat trained to trail and pack is going for as much as $500 if some such sucker can be found. I pay 90 bucks for 70# babies which is way too much. But that's what they go for. Latino young lady coming out celebrations keep the price up.

Never get a single goat. Always get at least two. One goat is worse than being married to the wrong woman!

Oh, Sanaans are too damn vocal. This seems to go away as they age. By 3 years they are no more vocal than any other breed. Until then ya sure want to put a bark collar on the noisier ones.

Keep your eyes open and you'll come across something that can do ya service.

Also, they rent for $50.00/day with pack saddles. That's why I bought my own. I'm cheap. Plus I have a perfect pasture for goats. Nothing but browse. Horses and calves about starve on it.
Old 10-19-2013, 06:06 PM
Platinum Member

Did a short pack to my fav shooting spot. Loaded sufficient to stay for 4-5 days except for shelter, pads and sleeping bag.

The idea was to get everything together, make a short trip and hike and do some drop validation. I had a bit of a time crunch as wiffie came home yesterday from a Hi-8-IL hernia repair job. Daughter was here tending and wanted to leave by 1300.

I got a late start but went anyway.

Beautiful morning. Brisk temps and zero wind. I shudda started earlier.

First mistake was Cheerios for breakfast. Almost didn't make it up the hill, 20 min hike ). About ran out of steam, and I was packing nothing but a 14# rifle.

If I wouldn't have had to put down the 4th full sized goat I wouldn't have had to carry the rifle.

Immediately upon arriving home I changed my signature.

Upon unloading at the shooting spot the first order of business was FOOD! The wind had picked up to well over 10 mph which is typical.

A couple of panniers were set up as a wind brake. Less than a minute later Mountain House Beef Stew was soaking. The Optimus boils 2 cups of H2O inside of a minute. Impressive.

Everything I've eaten from Mtn House has been outstanding!

Upon getting the ol' sugar balanced things went darn good.

Never did shoot. Enjoyed the time on the mountain.

Its the first of buck season in this unit. The canyon road was full of some pretty rough lookin' outfits. Thus the string is dressed in color when not packing.

Here's some pics.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Pack Goats-goats-ready-2-go.jpg   Pack Goats-goats-hill.jpg  

Pack Goats-goats-kitchen.jpg   Pack Goats-goats-cooking-wind-break.jpg