Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Pack Goats

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2013, 11:13 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Pack Goats

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post
Finished up the goat hoof trimming stand. Pretty outrageous after looking at the puny little milking stands.

It came together quite well. Scrounged junk lumber and stuff. Just used what I had laying around.

Made no trips to town or to neighbors to get stuff. Major success, I'd say.

The troops were on high alert when I hauled the thing down to the pasture gate. I suppose they were wondering what the old man was up to this time. . .

Note the similarity to the French head head choppin' gizmo. I figgered if one of 'em gave me trouble I'd turn 'em into taco meat. . . Had the machete readily available.

The process worked flawlessly. Three goats feet trimmed in about 20 minutes with no back pain.

No wrecks. No loss of temper. No nothing. Simply hold a can of sweet feed in front of them then dump in into the container in front. Simple as that!

First was the youngest/smallest. No problems.
Next was the milk goat doe. Again no problem. No pic though.
Finely the 195 pounder. Again no problem.
Lead 'em in the back and open the front when done. I'm liking this. . .
Looks good, i had a good laugh. I see that there is ramp in the front, the goats must not have reverse built in?? I gotta ask though, why go through the trouble of building the whole thing, when you could have just done it with them on the ground and save yourself a couple hours??

Take care and happy Easter!!

I'm 16
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/

My guess on W3P .308 230 Grain Bullet: G1 .740-.755
Old 03-30-2013, 11:26 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnesuser28 View Post
Looks good, i had a good laugh. I see that there is ramp in the front, the goats must not have reverse built in?? I gotta ask though, why go through the trouble of building the whole thing, when you could have just done it with them on the ground and save yourself a couple hours??

Add 30 years to your age and suddenly you will begin to appreciate little inventions like this or anything that helps with bad knees, backs, shoulders, etc.

Scot E.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:31 PM
Silver Member

To be sure, Scott, you hit that nail right on the HEAD!!!! But Them goats look real helpful!!
Old 03-30-2013, 11:48 PM
Platinum Member

Thats what i was figuring, makes more sense now that i think about it. (i need to think more )

I'm 16
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/

Old 03-31-2013, 09:17 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnesuser28 View Post
I gotta ask though, why go through the trouble of building the whole thing, when you could have just done it with them on the ground and save yourself a couple hours??

Coupla hours? Took me all day!

Why? Goats don't like to be tied and don't hold still. If ya tie 'em to a hitchin' post it' around and around till ya run out of rope. Big hassle and bad language.

Tie along side a trailer it's only half that bad. Still not good.

Another method is to throw 'em and do it upside down. Throwing a 200# goat is for you young folks.

I'll trim probably 4 times a year. 4 x 0.5 hr = 2 hr/yr with no hassle.

Compare that to twice that time the old way with all the back breaking hassle.

Plus the thing can be use as a shooting bench.

AND what could I have done that day that would have been more fun? It was raining and work was done inside.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post
Coupla hours? Took me all day!

Why? Goats don't like to be tied and don't hold still. If ya tie 'em to a hitchin' post it' around and around till ya run out of rope. Big hassle and bad language.

Tie along side a trailer it's only half that bad. Still not good.

Another method is to throw 'em and do it upside down. Throwing a 200# goat is for you young folks.

I'll trim probably 4 times a year. 4 x 0.5 hr = 2 hr/yr with no hassle.

Compare that to twice that time the old way with all the back breaking hassle.

Plus the thing can be use as a shooting bench.

AND what could I have done that day that would have been more fun? It was raining and work was done inside.
Ah I see, in a way its like hand loading, expensive at first (or time consuming in your case) but in the long run pays off and saves money (and saves time in your case). Or am i completely off? Hope you had a great Easter Sunday guys.

Riley

I'm 16
~George Washington

~ JE Custom

Old 08-26-2013, 10:46 PM
Platinum Member

Warming up this thread, preping for fall and huntin' season.

Have made some changes in the string.

Have settled in on 5. Figure that I should never need more than that even when an extra person goes along.

Only gonna pack 4 of 'em. The 5th is a baby, born this spring. He and keep up with the rest but belly aches a bunch.

From largest to smallest.

Morgan - Hey that's what the girl I bought him from called him. 3 year old pure Sannan and ~240 pounds. Just now finishing his custom built pack saddle. It's a "Decker" similar to the last one I made. Used 5/16" rebar instead of 5/16" 6061 aluminum on this one. Only about a pound heaver than a wooden cross-buck but a ton stronger and won't loosen. Its fully adjustable. I'm learning about fitting saddles to goats.

Goat #2 - Too ugly for a name. 3 year old LaMancha @ 175 pounds. These ugly suckers have no ears. I"ve convinced everyone around here that its the custom for the owner to chew their ears off when they are born. So far none of these dummies around here have questioned me.

Goat #3 - Thing 1, 16 month old, pure Sannen @ 160 pounds. He was a baby two springs ago. By this time in 2014 he'll be well over 200 pounds. Gonna be a great goat. I'll pack him light this year.

Goat #4 - Another too ugly to name. 3 year old LaMancha @ 145 pounds. Not the biggest goat but a keeper nonetheless.

Goat #5 - Thing 2 or Shoestring. 7 months and 80+ pounds. "Shoestring" cause he unties your shoes every chance he gets. Won't pack him at all, he's just a kid.

However he will have a very small soft pack maybe with gloves or something as it's illegal to use live decoys in Idaho.

However, they won't be wearing those pack saddles 24-7. I figure on moving locations, if necessary, between two hours after sun up to 2 hours before sun down.

I have found no need, so far, to tether them at night. They hang within 30 yards or so. On the trail they string along with out leads in what ever order they sort out. It takes a couple of trips and some distance each trip for them to get their order sorted.

One they get their pecking order lined up they can be tied together in that same order. If tied out of order there's a bit of a tangle. Thus I don't tie them.

They are used to gun fire and don't flinch even with the 375 AM is set off.

The weather has broken. Hot stuff pretty much over. Two days of good rain in the general area. Thus beginning the second week in Sept. it to the hills for two+ days a week.

I will have 2 Woof tags, 1 deer tag, one elk tag and a bear tag. The main animal of interest is bro Woof. Anything else that presents itself and is for one reason or another, shootable, I'll take the shot.

I'll be in Idaho Unit 69 in Wolverine, Dan Creek, Flagg Knol and Jensen Creek areas.

I'll also spend some time in Driggs, Island Park and North Fork areas.

I'll be postin' pics and stuff.

Should be pretty fun.

An old man and his goats. . .and a coupla big rifles. . .