Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Pack Goats

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2013, 12:09 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Pack Goats

How are these Oberhasli (is that the right breed--best I could remember) for packing? The gal I saw with them while bear hunting a couple of years ago thought they'd be great.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 03-23-2013, 12:24 AM
Platinum Member

Obers are a common choice for packing.

Their popularity has a lot to do with them looking kinda like an elk or at least looking like they belong in the mountains.

Get. Them as large as you can. I have a 165 pound Alpine doe with a great amount of determination. She'll pack 50-55 pounds all day. I try to pack her @ no more than 45 pounds.

I'm thinking 180 pounds plus would be optimum. The 195 pounder is as strong as a horse but seems a bit shy of a full load.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:15 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmden View Post

How are these Oberhasli (is that the right breed--best I could remember) for packing? The gal I saw with them while bear hunting a couple of years ago thought they'd be great.
I picked Obers because of their personality, agility, athleticism, agility, and because they look cool. They seemed to be the best compliment of all the qualities. Mine will top out at around 200 lbs. Other goat breeds have them beat by 50 to 100 lbs. But I am ok with the minimal gain in packing weight.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:46 PM
Silver Member

Dang - I'm not too far from Roy or Packgoatguy - I need to check these critters out.

My wife will kill me.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:05 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdkidaho View Post
Dang - I'm not too far from Roy or Packgoatguy - I need to check these critters out.

My wife will kill me.
Packgoatguy is selling out. Moving. Has 6 experienced goats with all equipment for 550 each.

His ad is on craigslist. Rigby.

I tho't I posted this once. Maybe not.

Just spent the afternoon making a stand (kind of a squeeze chute thinger )

Have to trim hooves a couple of times a year and goats are too close to the ground. For that matter horses are too close to the ground. Put shoes on a couple and got over that task pretty quick.

I'll post a pic when I get a goat to climb up in it. Otta make a decent AFV video.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:13 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post
Packgoatguy is selling out. Moving. Has 6 experienced goats with all equipment for 550 each.

His ad is on craigslist. Rigby.

I tho't I posted this once. Maybe not.

Just spent the afternoon making a stand (kind of a squeeze chute thinger )

Have to trim hooves a couple of times a year and goats are too close to the ground. For that matter horses are too close to the ground. Put shoes on a couple and got over that task pretty quick.

I'll post a pic when I get a goat to climb up in it. Otta make a decent AFV video.
Yeah, Roy, I don't want a picture, I want to see a video of this process!

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 03-30-2013, 10:30 PM
Platinum Member

Finished up the goat hoof trimming stand. Pretty outrageous after looking at the puny little milking stands.

It came together quite well. Scrounged junk lumber and stuff. Just used what I had laying around.

Made no trips to town or to neighbors to get stuff. Major success, I'd say.

The troops were on high alert when I hauled the thing down to the pasture gate. I suppose they were wondering what the old man was up to this time. . .

Note the similarity to the French head head choppin' gizmo. I figgered if one of 'em gave me trouble I'd turn 'em into taco meat. . . Had the machete readily available.

The process worked flawlessly. Three goats feet trimmed in about 20 minutes with no back pain.

No wrecks. No loss of temper. No nothing. Simply hold a can of sweet feed in front of them then dump in into the container in front. Simple as that!

First was the youngest/smallest. No problems.
Next was the milk goat doe. Again no problem. No pic though.
Finely the 195 pounder. Again no problem.
Lead 'em in the back and open the front when done. I'm liking this. . .
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Pack Goats-img_2620.jpg   Pack Goats-img_2621.jpg  

Pack Goats-img_0044.jpg   Pack Goats-img_0045.jpg