Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Pack Goats

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2013, 12:49 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Pack Goats

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS1 View Post
The farm I was at the other day had Alpine, Toggenburg, Saanen, Nubian, and maybe one other kind.

Which of any of those kinds would be a good breed for pack goats? on this thread someone said stay away from lop eared ones, which the nubian are.

Dan
The largest breed is the Saanan. The bucks that mine are by look to be at least 300 pounds. I bought two 90 pounders. Kept the larger one. By the first of summer he should reach 150 and be able to pack very lightly. There is a good chance of bone deformation if packed under 3 years.

The Saanan is said to have the best all around temperament of all of them. I really like my 165 pound Alpine doe. She's kind of like a horse when it's time to catch her. And she knows when it's time to catch her. She is 3 1/2 yrs, comes from a dairy show goat farm and is a well broke goat.

A goat is said to pack one third their weight all day. So I went with Saanan first.

It is said that Nubians are lazy. Thus I shun them. However, my 200 pounder of a questionable Nubian cross is a keeper. I think he' off in the head a touch but he fits in pretty good. He's uglier than sin and is of unknown age with some kind of a lump on :his gut which doesn't seem to bother him. And he was free.

3 goats will pack all my stuff except for the long range rifle, optics ect. Plus a 4'x4' size trailer is about perfect for 3 goats.

I will most probably add another goat to the string so I won't have to pack any thing except snacks and drink.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:27 PM
Silver Member

The Pack Goat Forum • Index page

This website is a great resource of information. There are several books out there as well.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srhaggerty View Post
The Pack Goat Forum • Index page

This website is a great resource of information. There are several books out there as well.
Thanks for the previous inputs I will definitely check the forum and try to find some books.

Dan
Old 03-11-2013, 10:04 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS1 View Post
Thanks for the previous inputs I will definitely check the forum and try to find some books.

Dan
You bet. I have been planning this for the past 8 years. You will have fun
Old 03-15-2013, 07:49 PM
Platinum Member

Healing is pretty boring. . . Got some energy the other day and put together some goat coats. Figger'd they would be cool is the evening and night got a bit on the wet side.

Was a fun project.

The goats were well pleased.

Hey ya gotta be well dressed if you're gonna hunt with me.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Pack Goats-img_2600.jpg  
Old 03-15-2013, 08:28 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post
Healing is pretty boring. . . Got some energy the other day and put together some goat coats. Figger'd they would be cool is the evening and night got a bit on the wet side.

Was a fun project.

The goats were well pleased.

Hey ya gotta be well dressed if you're gonna hunt with me.
Nice goin', Roy! How is the healing coming anyway? Seems like I know lots of folks on the mend right now...

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 03-22-2013, 11:03 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Pack Goats packgoatguy selling out.

trained packgoats