Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Pack Goats

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2012, 10:17 AM
Silver Member

Re: Pack Goats

Roy,
You building your own saddle and panniers? If so I'd like to see some pictures of the process.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:42 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IChaseCoues View Post
Roy,
You building your own saddle and panniers? If so I'd like to see some pictures of the process.
Will do.

I'm figgerin' the packsaddle should fit the goat. Most suppliers say that they have never had a sore goat. Hmmmmm. I bet they were never a goat....

A ready to sand and finish cross buck pack saddle can be purchased new for $64 plus shipping.

Would have had the "hunting" style panniers finished moments a go but bent a needle and the old geezer at the sewing machine sold me the wrong needles this afternoon.

A member in CO and I are PMing back and forth. He as 4 saddles on the market. Will see what they are and the asking price.

Butt-Head packgoats has a saddle and rigging for $100. If I weren't such a stickler for stuff I'd go that route.

Long range hunting has different requirements than simply hiking and packing. At least my way of doing it does.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:24 PM
Platinum Member

It's been a busy week or so. Spent the week building the pack saddle. Found my skills with the table and miter saw suck so I shifted from cross buck to a Decker design.

Had to go through a steep leaning curve to get the pack hooks or whatever they are called (vs cross bucks) formed. Tried several methods and materials. Settled on 3/8" aluminum rod. Took many tries to get a jig rigged to do the bending. It worked out pretty well.

Oh, bought me another goat. This one is full grown. Bought it from a dairy goat show person. Thus is a doe. No one has mature whethers. She's hung like Marylyn Monroe. 'pose that will shrink. May have to get'r a jock. This one tapes out at about 190 pounds but is butter ball fat. I'm figuring to be able to comfortably pack 50# if needed and I made the saddle bars correctly.

The Decker is more difficult to build but more suitable to bulky loads. I'm figuring that its be carrying a bulky pack, with shooting mat/drag bag/rifle carrying case, bivvy, sleeping bag, freeze dried food and back pack stove.

If I sell the two little fellas, I'll get another full sized thing. I'm figuring 2 pack goats will get me through a couple of nights away from base camp. Plus I never harvest anything so packing out won't be a problem

For this one I used the plastic waste basket theme as I may, just may, need to pack some meat. Plus way easier to make.

Gonna do a field test this weekend. Should be quite the experience.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Pack Goats-img_2298.jpg   Pack Goats-img_2299.jpg  

Old 08-17-2012, 01:44 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks Roy! I needed that . You have fun with your field test!
Old 08-17-2012, 07:49 PM
Platinum Member

Grit, nothing like spreading a little humor. . . Well the initial field test wasn't so bad. Nothin' like it wooda been w/a horse. (I know nothing about horses either). Saddlin' up was no sweat. She simply ate russian olive leaves during the fun. It was l lot easier reaching over a goat for the cinch on the off side than reaching under a horse. Way less anxiety. . . My chinchas are too long. Need 16" vs 20" and 20 is the smallest this western town has to offer. Shooda put some sand in those plastic buckets. Did a bit of a romp when they started rattlin'. Not really much of a rodeo. Put couple of spades full of sand in each side and things settled. Took her a bit to learn her new width. Ran up the fence knocking a corner of of one of the expensive wally world buckets. After only a few minutes we were strolling down the road visiting neighbors. Who seem to think it was humorous. (My neighbors know me) Would have posted videos but the site went wonky. No icons work???? Looks like carriage returns don't work either.

Last edited by royinidaho; 08-17-2012 at 10:38 PM.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:44 AM
Silver Member

I was lucky enough to draw a mtn goat tag this year here in central Idaho. I have 2 Nubian/Alpines that are 3 1/2 yrs old that are coming with me. I'll let ya all know how they do, were leaving this weekend and be back mid next week. I have been exercising them quite a bit lately and I think they'll do fine but wont know till the trip is over......stay tuned
Old 09-12-2012, 09:46 AM
Platinum Member

Good goin'!!! Kinda cool using goats to get a goat. Pics please....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho Sawyer View Post
I was lucky enough to draw a mtn goat tag this year here in central Idaho. I have 2 Nubian/Alpines that are 3 1/2 yrs old that are coming with me. I'll let ya all know how they do, were leaving this weekend and be back mid next week. I have been exercising them quite a bit lately and I think they'll do fine but wont know till the trip is over......stay tuned