It's been a busy week or so. Spent the week building the pack saddle. Found my skills with the table and miter saw suck so I shifted from cross buck to a Decker design.
Had to go through a steep leaning curve to get the pack hooks or whatever they are called (vs cross bucks) formed. Tried several methods and materials. Settled on 3/8" aluminum rod. Took many tries to get a jig rigged to do the bending. It worked out pretty well.
Oh, bought me another goat.
This one is full grown. Bought it from a dairy goat show person. Thus is a doe. No one has mature whethers. She's hung like Marylyn Monroe. 'pose that will shrink. May have to get'r a jock. This one tapes out at about 190 pounds but is butter ball fat. I'm figuring to be able to comfortably pack 50# if needed and I made the saddle bars correctly.
The Decker is more difficult to build but more suitable to bulky loads. I'm figuring that its be carrying a bulky pack, with shooting mat/drag bag/rifle carrying case, bivvy, sleeping bag, freeze dried food and back pack stove.
If I sell the two little fellas, I'll get another full sized thing. I'm figuring 2 pack goats will get me through a couple of nights away from base camp. Plus I never harvest anything so packing out won't be a problem
For this one I used the plastic waste basket theme as I may, just may, need to pack some meat.
Plus way easier to make.
Gonna do a field test this weekend. Should be quite the experience.