Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Pack Goats

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2012, 08:23 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Pack Goats

I saw goats on a pack trail to a lake in the Sawtooths this weekend. They were happy to be carrying and the hikers were thrilled to have nothing to carry! What a great relationship. The more I see these in action the more they impress me.

Anxious to see how you get along with the new adventure! I have about 4 acres that may turn into goat pasture!

Scot E.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:23 PM
Platinum Member

Today, the big activity was cobbling up a goat hauling trailer. Rules for this type of activity is that ya gotta use what's laying around the place, 1 trip to town and 2 trips to Jim's, the neighbor that has one each of anything.

packgoatguy has a trailer that is the front half of the one I have and hauls 3 goats. So the front half of mine otta do for a couple of little fellas.

Here's what I started with.

The first task was to come up with what we call around here, a cattle panel. 15.x X 40 inches. Not much searching brought me to what I needed that was part of a "scare fence". I'll worry about replacing it when the neighbor puts the horses back in the pasture.

The next task was to bend the the panel into a 3 sided configuration 4' x 4' x whatever ( the gap will be the door.).

Here's my first attempt at building a "bender". It didn't work out so well.

After scratching my noggin for a bit, I decide to use one of my trips to Jim's.
After some description and a crude drawing, a few hunting stories and wacking a couple of starlings, I returned with two pieces of 1/2 x 4 x 40 steel plate. (did I mention that Jim has a couple of anything.)

I replaced the cedar fence lath with the steel put the handle from the Handyman jack on the 2" pipe wrench (none of my tools are very large ) and WhoopDeeDo a clean bend.

About that time I got hungry for breakfast. Looked like a good opportunity to pretend I was up in the mountains. Hey a fella can dream anytime he wishes.

I broke out the Maytag washer lid, uncovered the bbq and got the stuff together for some french toast. (If ya ever wanted a best of the best camp griddles, the Maytag washer lid, from the ancient wringer model my mother had, is the best of the best. You can be one of the goats will be packin' that sucker.

Seeing as I was at the house while this dream was happening, I grabbed my nifty Harbor Freight IR temp thingy to determine griddle temperature. The french toast was lookin' good. This is the temp. This thing is great for reading cartridge, chamber and barrel temperatures. Gave some meaningful data for input into Shooter for MV vs temperature.

Most projects have a tool list. Here's the list for this one.

A sad moment occurred during the activities. My long time faithful Habitat Invasion Vehicle Model 2 (HIV-II) was taken to the recycling yard. (Tears go here ) Son-in-law ran her w/o oil, freezing the cams. (More tears go here.)

It's sad to note that I had to use my one alloted trip to town for parts. Made the run for a latch for the door. Didn't feel too bad about that. I made up for it by using a piece of clothes line rope to ensure that the locking snap for the latch wouldn't be misplaced.

It ain't purty, but what the heck does a goat know? One of these days the junk piles around the place are gonna get depleted and I'll be forced to give the local economy a boost.

Tomorrow the rodeo happens. Gotta figure a way, without bustin' a kidney loose or anything else for that matter, to get the goats through that door for the first time. Heck, it would take some convincing for me to jump through that sucker.

This is gonna be good. BTW, wiffie blew up, kind of, when she learned what I was working on was for. She grew up on a farm and knows I know nothing about getting ready before hand for dogs, horses, angora goats, and now these things. She mentioned I'm crazy. Guess she can't envision a goat carrying anything.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:05 AM
Platinum Member

Looks like a trailer worthy of a goat. I hauled my first horse in something remarkably similar. Does it have a top? Or, do the goats refrain from jumping out 'cause they like it in there?

I bet our wifes could relate .
Old 07-11-2012, 07:46 AM
Platinum Member

Darn things jump like gazelles!!!

Yep, its gotta top, same as the sides.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:12 PM
Platinum Member

Well, that sure wasn't much of a rodeo. Took things slow and deliberate. Do I hear Goat Whisperer!!

Took about 10 minutes to get the one I was handling to lead. Mostly because the other guy was dragging his and mine wanted to keep up. He tossed his into the trailer. Mine loaded itself.

Loaded and ready to go:

Here's the sires. One is two the other is three. All I can say is they are big suckers.
Looks like theses Saanens are fully grown by maybe two years old???

Here's the goat lady saying bye bye.

Its sure different pulling that little trailer w/a 4.7 Durango than a 1.96 Zuki

Unloading @ my place.

This is gonna be a fun project. He hard part will be holding myself back and packin' them way too early.

I put 20 foot leads on the and tied them to the fence for awhile while I just messed around with them.

Then went for a 400 yard down and back walk. Said "Come on, Let's go" and started. By the time we got back they were following with ropes dragging and even checking themselves up when they went to pass me on a spurt of energy.

I have some fencing to do and don't think I'll have a problem with what I already have until they get larger.
So far, so good. Wiffee softened quite a bit thinking they are cute.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:43 PM
Platinum Member

On the first pic either you dropped some rasins in there to help lure them in there, or the owner put some laxative in their food just to mess with you.

I'm 15
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE CUSTOM

"Dope that scope and tickle that giggle switch"

~Doublezranch

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/
Old 07-11-2012, 07:48 PM
Platinum Member

When a goat gets nervous they have two options, poop, pee or both!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnesuser28 View Post
On the first pic either you dropped some rasins in there to help lure them in there, or the owner put some laxative in their food just to mess with you.