Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Pack Goats

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2011, 05:16 PM
Silver Member

Re: Pack Goats

This is a great topic and has given me something to do some research on. My wife and i are really looking into this as we love getting out with our son. Not having to carry all our gear would make a great way to go further each weekend. And as a deer and elk hunter that has packed out im thinking i met the holy grail lol.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:01 PM
Bronze Member

If you read back through some of the earlier posts on this topic, there are a few rescources mentioned. My favorite book is called 'The Pack Goat' by John Myonsinski. There is also a yahoo packgoat group; packgoat@yahoogroups.com that you can check out. There is a packgoat forum that you can google as well, and there is an association; North American Packgoat Association is a national organization set up to promote and educate about using goats as pack animals, and they have access to lots of information on their site as well. But dont get too overwhelmed by the vast amount of info out there, like I have mentioned in previous posts, the main advantage of packgoats is their simplicity. I would never feel comfortable sending a person out with several pack mules or horses if they have never been around horses before, but I can give a quick 30 minute orientation to a newbie to packgoats and send them on their way, and they wouldnt have any problems. Just make sure you pic the right goats, and get them on the trail as often as possible, and thats really the bottom line.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:53 PM
Silver Member

Yes the simplicity is what makes this so intriguing to me. Thank you for all your time and advice.

Jason
Old 02-28-2011, 11:20 PM
Silver Member

I agree thank you for your time and effort posting. I just ordered the book used on Amazon cost me 15 bucks including shipping figured that was a great starting point. When i get into this a little more i will pick your brain for sure.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:42 AM
Silver Member

this is a great thread, as someone mentioned goats seem like a perfect solution. i am in AZ and most of the places we drive into you could never get a horse trailer into but you could probably take a couple of goats. Thanks for taking the time to share so much info, I have a couple of questions:

how do they tolerate gun fire?

how do you transport them, especially on rough roads?

anyone have any info on outfitters in AZ? I looked at 2 using google but it seems that they may frown on hunting.

anyone in AZ looking to invest in goats let me know, i dont have the land to keep them but would be willing to talk about buying goats.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:57 AM
Silver Member

I trained my to gun fire just like a gun dog. (.22's from a distance and gradually getting closer and louder) now they dont care AT ALL about guns. As far as transporting I just load em up in the back of my toyota and off we go.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:43 AM
Silver Member

Again that is one of the coolest things I have ever heard!