Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

New type of kifaru backpack

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2012, 09:29 PM
Silver Member

New type of kifaru backpack

Kifaru just posted a new frame. It's called a Bikini frame and weighs only 2lbs 5oz and there are two new bags to mount on it. A 4800ci bag and a 7000ci bag. It will take any duplex bag as well as the new High camp bags. The frame and new bags are under tactical instead of hunting but they are hunting bags first.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:07 PM
Gold Member

Re: New type of kifaru backpack

It sounds impressive. I've been thinking about an upgrade in my pack. I'm always a little skeptical about new high end stuff. It's sorta like the newest I-phone. The same people who absolutely "loved" their new phone won't even be seen in public using it after the latest version is released. It'll probably take a couple of seasons to get the straight poop on how it works.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:13 PM
Silver Member

I already ordered one. I have great confidence in Kifaru.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:32 PM
Platinum Member

Kifaru Hunting

Hmmm...I've got on old Gen 1 frame I may consider upgrading...

What is the weight of the old style frames? Not at home to weigh mine, but I think it's quite a bit more than 2 lbs. 5 oz. Bikini Frame.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 12-29-2012, 11:48 PM
Silver Member

The duplex frame is about 4lbs 5oz . The bikini drops 2lbs. The minimalist high camp bags are 2lbs and 2lbs 3oz. Buying the new rig is like having someone carry my tent for me
Old 12-30-2012, 11:50 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveinjax View Post
The duplex frame is about 4lbs 5oz . The bikini drops 2lbs. The minimalist high camp bags are 2lbs and 2lbs 3oz. Buying the new rig is like having someone carry my tent for me
Thank you. Nice! 2lbs is a chunk. That will definitely be on my list for summer backpacking and fall hunting. My TarpTent Rainbow weighs 2lbs. 3 oz., so getting the bikini would be like not even packing the tent!

I picked up the Duplex Timberline 2 last summer and put that on my Gen 1 Kifaru frame, so that'll be the perfect combination of duplex packbag and packframe for me.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 03-12-2013, 03:25 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmden View Post
Thank you. Nice! 2lbs is a chunk. That will definitely be on my list for summer backpacking and fall hunting. My TarpTent Rainbow weighs 2lbs. 3 oz., so getting the bikini would be like not even packing the tent!

I picked up the Duplex Timberline 2 last summer and put that on my Gen 1 Kifaru frame, so that'll be the perfect combination of duplex packbag and packframe for me.
Kifaru Bikini frame and XTL lid on order as of a few days ago. Paired up with the DT2 bag, I think it'll be a great carry system! 2 lbs savings means I can carry another quart of water and stay a bit longer at the dry camp I have for high country mule deer. A few other tweaks here and there should get another pound or two off. Last year, I was able to reduce my pack weight 5 lbs and actually be more comfortable due to using good gear. This year, another 3-4 lbs will come off--everything helps...