Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

New guy looking for a backpack hunt recommendation.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2007, 12:08 PM
Bronze Member

Yep, Backpacked every direction out of Jackson and you will have no problem finding elk in any direction. Just pick your backpack skill level. Some areas around there are way steeper and more rugged than others. As far as elk, I have seen big ones in every direction as well. Learn how to camp with bears because I guarantee you will see grizzlies in those units around Jackson. That country is full of them. Pull up Wyoming game and fish on the net and you can navigate through to see your chances of drawing a tag in the various units. In Wyoming it is all draw and will probably take at least one point to get a tag. Colorado would be your best shot to hunt next year with over the counter tags while getting you a point in Wyoming. I have got some really nice bulls with over the counter tags in Colorado every year.

I did a little looking over around Jackson last weekend and saw 10-12 bulls over 370. Saw 2-3 nontypicals that were awesome and a monster 6x6 with double drop tines that looked like ball bats hanging down. The largest typical was an 8x8 about 390. Hunting seasons are over for bulls so there should be some big ones somewhere next year. Most of the big guys probably migrated down out of the parks where you can't hunt.
Old 12-20-2007, 01:53 PM
Silver Member

I have to look into it more, but I'm thinking that next year it would be nice to hunt there for mule deer, and get a point started for the following year for elk. I'd like to hunt mule deer in the area that I'll be hunting for elk just to become somewhat familiar with it. That way when I do spend more $$ for the elk I won't be walking into it completely blind.

As far as bears go. I understand the basics; sleep in a tent, hang your food up high, have bear spray & or the guns ready in the tent with you, and stay away from them.

I'm all ears when it comes to hunting/hiking around Jackson. I'd like to get back out there so bad. That place is amazing.
Old 12-20-2007, 02:44 PM
Bronze Member

Good plan, Just look where your best odds are of drawing a tag. I have seen on the hoof and known of some very nice bucks being taken in all the units around Jackson so any would be good. Just go in where you can get a tag and find your own little honey hole. All are good for elk so I would make the determination on the deer. I have probably seen more big deer in the units to the south of town on either side of the road toward Hoback canyon. That unit to the west bordering Idaho has been good lately for big bucks and bulls. The best deer I saw last year was a local guy got it along with a 390 bull way in the backcountry of elk unit 71. The deer was 36" wide and went a little over 200". But nice ones are in all those units.
Old 12-20-2007, 03:14 PM
Silver Member

If I'm going out there in a pickup truck would it be wise to borrow a ATV and put it in the back.

I'm thinking just to get as far back in area, and more importantly, putting the animal on the atv to get it out.

Once I got far enough back I'd be hiking around but it'd make getting game out a lot easier.
Old 12-20-2007, 06:48 PM
Bronze Member

It depends on the unit. The one southwest of town next to Idaho would be a good one for an ATV. Also the one just north of the Gros Ventre river north of town. If you want true pack in some other units are better with no ATV pressure.