Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

New gear:

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2012, 10:56 AM
Bronze Member

Re: New gear:

Going from a bivy, the Easton will feel like a palace!

What pack are you using to carry it? I use the Deuter 65+10. That is a nice, light, and comfortable pack. After packing 120 lbs of deer out with it last year in one load though, I decided to move to a little heavier and more substantial pack and frame this year.
Old 05-28-2012, 12:00 PM
Platinum Member

Kifaru Duplex Timberline 2 (DT2). The Kifaru packs are the only packs I've found that are designed from the ground up to carry 100+ lb. loads, which happens with mine a couple of times a year and it's (Gen 1 frame that that DT2 pack bag attaches to) been doing it for nearly 10 years. Patrick used to own MountainSmith and knows a thing or two about making packs.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 06-24-2012, 04:36 PM
Platinum Member

Finally had a chance to test the Easton Kilo 1P on a short trip. Unfortunately, I can't say that I can reccomend it and I will be contacting Easton Mountain Products regarding my concerns. I've been in alot of different high-quality, lightweight tents and make a few myself and I've got to say that that was about the wettest I've been in a tent when it didn't even rain.

There are several key issues that I see. Very poor ventilation. I was pretty wet just due to the fact that most of the moisture I was giving of breathing at night (most adults give off about a quart of water at night breathing) ended up as condensation on the inside of the fly. A tent with good weatherproof ventilation is worth its weight in gold to you being able to travel/hunt day after day because ventilation goes a long way to keep you warm and dry in your tent.

Two other issues I could fix in minutes on my sewing machine at an added weight of probably 1/4 oz. but there are a couple of other issues, such as a pole that is simply not strong enough and walls that are not vertical enough so that you can't even sit up without touching the wall that are not an easy fix. Another is the fact that if with noseeum inner walls, when you sew the noseeum inner wall to the approx. 6" watertight floor wall material, the fell seam must be constructed in such a way that the noseeum is on the outside of the floor wall material at the seam. That way, if moisture does get on and drip down the noseeum inner wall, it will 'flow' down the to the outside of the tent. As it stands now, this tent has the noseeum part of the fell seam on the inside, so if water does 'flow' down the noseeum to the floor wall, which it did, it then drips right on the tent floor.

Hindsight is 20/20 and I'm kicking myself for not being critical enough and noticing these issues right off the bat. Sometimes you just have to 'try something on' to know for sure. I'll be sending an email to Easton. Too bad.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 06-24-2012, 09:06 PM
Bronze Member

Good review,sorry it didn't work out.If I had your shelter making skills I don't think I'd ever buy another tent
Tim
Old 06-25-2012, 02:32 PM
Bronze Member

I too appreciate the follow-up. Sorry to hear it didn't work. Hopefully it didn't ruin the trip. At least it didn't rain too!
Old 06-25-2012, 05:47 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for the reviews, and for listing the best places to find the new gear. Always good to see real results from reliable sources.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:26 PM
Platinum Member

Looking closely at ordering a TarpTent Rainbow: Tarptent Ultralight Shelters. At 2 lbs. 2 oz., it is 1 oz. heavier, but much bigger floor area (40" x 88"...now that's good 1 person tent living space and a 43" interior height) and some livability features (such as 2 built in ventilation vents at the peak and some flexible pitching options with the vestibule door, among others). Less $ too. Ventilation is so key and I'm kicking myself for not thinking enough about that before ordering the Easton. I'll report back on the Tarptent Rainbow.

BTW, the Bibler Torre and the Marmot Swallow I have both have built in ventilation features but this seems to be a very rare feature in most lightweight backcountry tents. Just fyi, Marmot seems to be one of the few big name, 'mainstream' manufacturers that consistently offers ventilation in the fly of some of their tents. Nemo has some venting in some of their tents as well. A dryer tent interior is worth it a little extra $.