Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

New gear:

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2012, 09:58 PM
Platinum Member

New gear:

Recent lightweight kit additions for solo backpack hunts in late summer/early fall:

Easton Mountain Products Kilo 1P Tent - Easton Mountain Products

best points: quite roomy, 2 lbs., side entrance, vestibule big enough to hold pack/gun
best price: Easton Mountain Products Kilo Tent 1-Person 3-Season from Backcountry.com

Marmot Hydrogen sleeping bag - Hydrogen 30F / -1C | Marmot Clothing and Equipment

best points: 850+ goose down (best warmth to weight ratio available, compresses the most, will last the longest), Pertex Microlight shell that is highly water resistance and highly breathable, 1 lb. 9 oz., 29F lower comfort rating
best price: Marmot Hydrogen Sleeping Bag: 30 Degree Down from Backcountry.com

Thermarest NeoAir Trekker and NeoAir All Season sleeping pads:

Therm-a-Rest NeoAir Trekker - Lightweight, go-anywhere air mattress comfort.

NeoAir™ All Season

I used the Trekker for summer/early fall and the All Season now for later fall/winter. There are somewhat lighter pads, but at 19 oz., these are very light and incredibly comfortable and with optional bag (http://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/sho...8_10000001_-1_), pack to be considerably smaller than 1 L water bottle. The Trekker is my favorite, but the All Season has a much higher R-value rating making it a better choice for colder conditions, although I've slept on the Trekker in low teens and been fine. The Trekker is quiet, the All Season has a bit of that crinkly sound I don't care for.

Complete sleep system for 4 lbs. 12 oz.

Check out the new Kifaru Duplex Timberline packs as well: Timberline Overview

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 05-20-2012, 10:20 PM
Gold Member

Re: New gear:

Have you got your hydrogen yet? I talked to someone about them and they said it was contricting, so much so that his wife didnt even feel comfortable in it. I recently got a slik 20 deg and am ordering a helium for a companion bag. That tent looks pretty great as well.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:53 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroducksx3 View Post
Have you got your hydrogen yet? I talked to someone about them and they said it was contricting, so much so that his wife didnt even feel comfortable in it. I recently got a slik 20 deg and am ordering a helium for a companion bag. That tent looks pretty great as well.
One of the reasons I purchased it is that it is slightly larger in the shoulders than most bags of this weight and I tend to have trouble in this area in bags that are too narrow. It feels great to me. I looked at numerous other bags: Feathered Friends, Western Mountaineering, Mountain Hardwear, etc.

Down Sleeping Bags - Warm Weather Reviews - OutdoorGearLab Was able to try out the FF bag, but even in a larger size it was too constricting in the shoulders. After ruminating on this decision for well over a month, I decided that all things considered most important to me, price included, the Marmot Hydrogen was the bag I was looking for.

The Marmot Helium appears to be a warmer, heavier twin to the Hydrogen. Same fill, same shell. I've got FF -30F bag, TNF15F and 20F bags and a heavier MH 32F bag, but was looking for the most lightweight, comfortable, hi-quality down, water-resistant shell, reasonably priced bag out there and eventually settled on the Hydrogen. It's meant for super lightweight solo backpack hunting and it should work great for that.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 05-21-2012, 08:22 AM
Bronze Member

Will that new Timberline bag fit on a Gen 1 frame ?
Old 05-21-2012, 08:30 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim in Washington View Post
Will that new Timberline bag fit on a Gen 1 frame ?
Yep. I made sure of that. They send a little kit out to modify an attachment point, but other than that, yes.

Old 05-27-2012, 05:04 PM
Bronze Member

Nice gear! Except for the tent, that is the same exact setup I use. I have a Marmot Hydrogen in regular and a Helium in large. Although I like the bigger bag better, the regular size is significantly roomier than some other mummies I have had.

The tent I take for most trips is my MSR Hubba. Light, but not as light as yours. I get claustraphobic if tent-bound for a day or two in the MSR and will even take a two-man if weather looks bad. The Easton is light, but seems really small. The vestibule seems like you would have to crawl over your gear getting in and out. Is it more roomy than it looks?
Old 05-27-2012, 07:50 PM
Platinum Member

Yeah, it's small, but the footprint is larger than several other 1 man tents I looked at. Combined with the Easton superlight carbon pole, this lets the tent still use somewhat more robust fabrics than other 'superlight' tents and still come at 2 lbs. A side entrance has often seemed easier to get in and out of for me as well, but with this design in rain, you may get a bit of rain in the tent when getting in and out--some designs are getting better with this issue. Yep, getting in and out of the tent--all of your gear will not fit on the far end of the vestibule, although it would be close.

It's actually a pretty good sized vestibule (10 or 11 square feet as I recall, compared to other 1 man tents), but all things considered, this seemed to be the best compromise of what I was looking for. Have owned a Nemo Gogo 'bivvy tent' (just sold it to help fund this purchase) in the past and a regular goretex bivvy--the ability to sit up in your tent and move around a bit is huge in inclement weather and this thing weighs less than the bivvy sac I have and the bivvy tent I used to have.