Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

new boots

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2012, 07:23 PM
Bronze Member

new boots

Just picked up a pair of Kenetrek Hardscrabble Hikers for a screaming deal ($160 brand new). Couldn't pass it up. Just wondering what anyones experiences with them are. pros and cons?? break in period??
thanks
Old 02-25-2012, 08:23 PM

Re: new boots

While I don't have the hardscarbbles I do have the mountain extremes and I tried where them in the evenings walking up and down the stairs trying to break them in for about 2 weeks. It didn't work well, opening day of rifle season I put 12 or so miles on them and my heels were raw. But after that they were like butter for the rest of the year. Give yourself and extended break-in period just to be on the safe side. Your feet will thank you.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:44 PM
Silver Member

you will be pleased! Boots like these take 20 to 50 miles to break in completely. However this can be shortened by wetting your socks before going on a hike. I don't mean soaked, but wet then ringed out. One of the most important things is to keep the leather conditioned with a quality leather conditioner.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:59 PM
Silver Member

That is a screamin deal! My buddy swears by them. I tried some on and they were too narrow for my feet so I got a pair of Asolo hikers of similar design. We both figured out pretty quick that the best thing we could do is rip the factory insoles out and replace them with a good quality insole like those from Superfeet or even better yet the Synergy Footbed from Lathrop and Sons. Your feet will love you for it!!!
Old 02-27-2012, 02:04 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J300UM View Post
That is a screamin deal! My buddy swears by them. I tried some on and they were too narrow for my feet so I got a pair of Asolo hikers of similar design. We both figured out pretty quick that the best thing we could do is rip the factory insoles out and replace them with a good quality insole like those from Superfeet or even better yet the Synergy Footbed from Lathrop and Sons. Your feet will love you for it!!!
great point! The first thing I do with all my shoes and boots is to get superfeet insoles. go to a good performance running shoe store and have them fit you for insoles and get them for your shoes and boots!
Old 03-09-2012, 01:42 PM

Ya I have the same boots. They really remind me of hockey skates. Skates are a bitch to break in but once you get them going, they support and fit like a dream. It took me 25-30 miles to break them in and I was worried at the start but once you get them broken in its amazing.
I love the hardscrabbles but they are a little chilly. November in Montana is a little too cold for this boot but they are amazing archery and early rifle season boots. You're gonna love those boots once you break them in. Just keep telling yourself that they will be the best boots you've ever owned.
Oh and for the break in I just used the Kenetrek boot wax on the leather every 5 miles to keep them softening up. Walking in wet wool socks doesn't sound fun ha ha
Old 03-09-2012, 04:49 PM
Bronze Member

thanks for the info guys. so far i have about 12 miles on them. they felt stiff and a little tight for the first 7 or 8 miles. it seems like they hit a magic point after that when they started to relax. wish i would have gotten the tip about telling myself they would be great after break in earlier, because the first few miles were tough, haha. paired with kenetrek gaitors i am really starting to enjoy them.

again, thanks for the input