Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Need advice for Colorado elk hunt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2013, 05:39 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Need advice for Colorado elk hunt

Coach, I'm really enjoying your thread. I'm gonna do it in 2014 and I feel as fired up as you! Where in TN are you?
Old 02-27-2013, 02:32 PM
Bronze Member

Same here, I have been keeping up with this thread as well and trying to prepare me and two friends for this same kind of hunt. I have been getting together a good gear list as I hate not having something when you really need it but you can only pack so much. So far I think the hardest thing is trying to decide where to go. So much land to explore and I dont wanna be around crowds of people, so hopfully we can figure out a good place that we can pack in harder then most and seperate us from the ones that dont want it as bad.

Brett
Old 02-27-2013, 03:23 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzlfarmboy View Post
Same here, I have been keeping up with this thread as well and trying to prepare me and two friends for this same kind of hunt. I have been getting together a good gear list as I hate not having something when you really need it but you can only pack so much. So far I think the hardest thing is trying to decide where to go. So much land to explore and I dont wanna be around crowds of people, so hopfully we can figure out a good place that we can pack in harder then most and seperate us from the ones that dont want it as bad.

Brett
That is the hardest part. Internet "scouting" seems to pose more questions than it answers.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:26 PM
Bronze Member

Sure does, need to make some local friends to has some good intel for the future. I wish the GMU's cold be laid over on top of google earth, I've been on there a lot scouting the terrain for different areas.

So both BLM and Forest Service are public hunting allowed correct?

Also is there very many places in units where we would cross a fishing spot if I were to bring a compact fly rod along backpacking?

Thanks Brett
Old 02-27-2013, 09:28 PM

I'm really glad to see so many like-minded people sharing their thoughts, advice, and expertise. I feel like I have learned a lot , but at the same time I just keep coming up with more and more questions. Like........What are the roads like in the mountains? How high can you drive? How willing to help are the local folks?........
By the way, I'm from middle Tn. Down next to the Alabama state line. Roll tide!
Old 02-27-2013, 09:53 PM
Bronze Member

Have looked over this? You can click on the southwest section for 81 and it gives an overview of all the units and specific info about each.

Big Game Hunt Guides | Colorado Parks and Wildlife

but I guess it depends on the weather for the road conditions as the mention having chains is a good idea sometimes.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:30 PM

Is it better to hunt before or after the muzzleloader hunt?