Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Need advice for Colorado elk hunt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2013, 09:58 AM

Need advice for Colorado elk hunt

My son and I are preparing for a DIY elk hunt in Colorado. We plan to hunt unit 81. I would appreciate any advice and information that will help us prepare. Thanks!
Old 02-03-2013, 11:08 AM
Silver Member

Re: Need advice for Colorado elk hunt

Have you ever hunted elk in Colorado before? How experienced are you with hunting elk?
Old 02-03-2013, 08:52 PM

I have never hunted elk. I have hunted whitetail deer my entire life having harvested several mature bucks from my home state of Tennessee and in Illinois. I have good basic hunting skills and am an avid outdoorsman. My brother has taken a couple decent bull elk over the years but I have not had the opportunity to hunt out west. Saying that, I realize that elk hunting has it's own challenges and that I have much work ahead of me in planning and physical conditioning. I am trying to get as much useful information as possible. Gotta tell you, I'm pumped over this!
Old 02-03-2013, 10:46 PM
Silver Member

Here are a few pointers! that I have learmed on my DIY hunts in CO.

1 Get in the best shape you can.
2 Bring the best optics you can.
3 Practice to get fartherist effective rang with your weapon .
4 Mentaly prepare your self for a gruleing hunt where you will ache , shiver, strugle for breath and in the process Have the time of your life!!!
Old 02-05-2013, 12:23 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachj View Post
I have never hunted elk. I have hunted whitetail deer my entire life having harvested several mature bucks from my home state of Tennessee and in Illinois. I have good basic hunting skills and am an avid outdoorsman. My brother has taken a couple decent bull elk over the years but I have not had the opportunity to hunt out west. Saying that, I realize that elk hunting has it's own challenges and that I have much work ahead of me in planning and physical conditioning. I am trying to get as much useful information as possible. Gotta tell you, I'm pumped over this!
I will give many own tips:

Give yourself 3 or 4 days to scout your area. Find animals in the morning and evening and try to find the same herd in the evening.

If you can get a horse, do it.

Carry something to check the wind. A small little puff bottle.

Be in great shape.

Eat a lot of good food.

Know the movement routes for when weather comes in.

What season are you going?
Old 02-05-2013, 09:01 PM

Thanks to the both of you for the help. I will be archery hunting in the middle part of September. My work only allows me 8 hunting days with 4 additional days for travel.It's a 21 hour drive. I have begun my physical preparation and am planning a hiking trip to the Smokies a little later. I had planned to walk in. Are you recommending a drop camp hunt by mentioning the horses? Have a few questions. Best way to find elk? (Hope they are bugling).do you use a Satellite phone? Have been advised to start hunting between 9000' and 11000'. Do you agree? Thanks again!
Old 02-05-2013, 09:39 PM
Silver Member

You can rent horses from several different people in Colorado. What you need is a place on private property to pick them up. From there, you would need a trailer or be camped at a trail head where you can ride in.

Hiking in is a good idea. The bulls will bugle sometimes until mid to late October.

Besides seeing elk, I like to walk the edge of black timber to locate areas where elk go in and out.

Talk to the locals, you'll figure it out.