Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

My new Stone Glacier Pack just arrived.......

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2013, 11:03 PM
Silver Member

Re: My new Stone Glacier Pack just arrived.......

Ive had Dana, Gregory, MR, Eberlestock, old aluminum frames and big bags on them and have looked at close, worn and been with a buddy on hunts who uses a SG. The SG is superb. All have merits, and Im researching also to buy soon, Im seriously considering the Paradox in lieu of the SG so we can compare the two, Both great and well made and light and simple. Im not fond of Schnees and that's where SG is sold from now. Ive had Kennetrecs, I wont again, Scarpas and a few others are lighter, tougher and better by far in the toughest and steepest mtn terrain. Huge selection of models also, One of the best boots in the world. Hoffman Packs are hands down better than any other Pacs Ive used and been in walking the whole list of top end boots. They will do what many Hunt boots say they will, but much better with the great bottoms they use, far tougher than the others. Hunting boots are mostly all hype, Mountaineering boots are in a whole other league and work great for hunting and typically built on better footprints for sidehilling and steep terrain.
Old 12-01-2013, 12:07 AM
Gold Member

Randy,
I will let you know what I choose and how it works out. Last quick question- do you like the thickness of the shoulder straps? One thing I loved about the Eberle was the thin straps. I found them easy to shot from if need be. I don't care for real thick straps.. Thanks again

Mtntrapper, let ud know how that comparison goes
Old 12-01-2013, 12:08 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boman View Post
Randy,
I will let you know what I choose and how it works out. Last quick question- do you like the thickness of the shoulder straps? One thing I loved about the Eberle was the thin straps. I found them easy to shot from if need be. I don't care for real thick straps.. Thanks again

Mtntrapper, let ud know how that comparison goes
Mike, they are not as thin as the eberlestock but very comfortable. I would rate them as a "medium" thickness. I've never strapped on a Kifaru so I'm not sure how their straps rate.

Randy

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than be in any city on earth." ---Steve McQueen
Old 12-01-2013, 12:48 PM
Gold Member

Sounds good. Thanks Randy