Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

My new Stone Glacier Pack just arrived.......

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2013, 10:23 PM
Gold Member

Re: My new Stone Glacier Pack just arrived.......

Randy,
Any more updates? I'm in buy a new pack mode and I'm trying to decide between a few packs. Mainly the Approach and a Kifaru.

The looks great packing out that elk! Congrats
Old 11-30-2013, 12:32 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boman View Post
Randy,
Any more updates? I'm in buy a new pack mode and I'm trying to decide between a few packs. Mainly the Approach and a Kifaru.

The looks great packing out that elk! Congrats
Well, I can't say enough good about it. Here are some more photos of it in "use."
It works great for a day pack/meat hauler and I used the approach for a couple of spike outs. It's good that way for about 2 days but any more than that I would use the solo bag. I know that a lot of guys are sold on the kifarus also but I like the simplicity and the weight of the SG. So far this year, it's packed out 3 deer and two elk--hopefully in a couple of weeks there will be a wolf strapped to it.
Hey, Christmas is right around the corner so maybe santa can bring you one.....

Randy
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
My new Stone Glacier Pack just arrived.......-daves-trip-photos-060.jpg   My new Stone Glacier Pack just arrived.......-daves-trip-photos-081.jpg  

My new Stone Glacier Pack just arrived.......-daves-trip-photos-123.jpg   My new Stone Glacier Pack just arrived.......-daves-trip-photos-141.jpg  

My new Stone Glacier Pack just arrived.......-salmon-hunting-trip-045.jpg   My new Stone Glacier Pack just arrived.......-salmon-hunting-trip-008.jpg  

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than be in any city on earth." ---Steve McQueen
Old 11-30-2013, 02:24 AM
Gold Member

Randy,

Those are some great pictures and some very nice deer. That one is a hog. Nice job.

The pack looks great. Just what I want I think. I'm real close to pulling the trigger on it. My problem is I've got Kifaru right down the road and it's tempting to go with them for that reason.

What other packs have you used? I've tried an eberle 105, badlands 2200, and a cabelas external frame.

Thanks again
Old 11-30-2013, 09:48 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Randy,

Those are some great pictures and some very nice deer. That one is a hog. Nice job.

The pack looks great. Just what I want I think. I'm real close to pulling the trigger on it. My problem is I've got Kifaru right down the road and it's tempting to go with them for that reason.

What other packs have you used? I've tried an eberle 105, badlands 2200, and a cabelas external frame.

Thanks again
I've actually had all three that you mentioned. They all have pros and cons. I was an eberlestock dealer and it is a great company and Glen makes great packs, however, they all are just plain heavy. I still have a cabelas external frame and what I did with that is I made a crooked horn pack to attach to the frame and carried it that way.
Here was my main criteria for a pack. I wanted the pack and my sleeping gear to weigh 10 pounds or less. Some packs weigh almost that empty. That gives me 10 pounds for my hunting gear and 5 pounds for food/stove for 2 days for a carry around weight of max---25 pounds. So, I can have my entire pack weigh a comfortable weight and hit the high country and not worry about where my camp is. I've said it before but "If you're going to hunt Kong, you have to hunt where Kong lives." Not that I want to see a whole bunch of folks in the high country but it's the way to hunt as far as I'm concerned. I literally can glass in the morning in my sleeping bag. Another nice feature of the approach bag is that I can keep my spotting scope and tripod on the outside and it just takes a second to set that system up. My honey got me the solo bag for my birthday but have not had to opportunity to use it yet. And a great selling point for both the SG and the Kifarus is that they are both make here in America. If you wish, I could send you mine to try out and since you are close to Kifaru, you could compare them. I don't think you could go wrong with either one.
Think weight and simplicity.

Randy

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than be in any city on earth." ---Steve McQueen
Old 11-30-2013, 10:00 AM
Platinum Member

Here is another "use" that the SG works great for. The spotting scope pocket works great for resting the front of your rifle against and it is a steady rest. You can also stand the pack up and shoot off the top. Another reason why I prefer a hard frame.

Randy
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
My new Stone Glacier Pack just arrived.......-daves-trip-photos-047.jpg  

Old 11-30-2013, 01:27 PM
Gold Member

Randy,
You and I must have be long lost brothers. .haha. I attached a 1100cu cabelas hip pack to my cabelas frame. I only use it now for pack out jobs. I also really like the Eberles but too heavy for me as well and lack of load lifters..

I'll visit kifaru again but im all but sold on the approach. I think it's what I want and no more. I may get the solo bag as well. Not sure yet. Thank you for offering to borrow your pack. I wouldn't want to put you out. Thank you for all your help. Truly helpful with actual experience is worth its weight in gold.

Thank you

Mike
Old 11-30-2013, 03:13 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Randy,
You and I must have be long lost brothers. .haha. I attached a 1100cu cabelas hip pack to my cabelas frame. I only use it now for pack out jobs. I also really like the Eberles but too heavy for me as well and lack of load lifters..

I'll visit kifaru again but im all but sold on the approach. I think it's what I want and no more. I may get the solo bag as well. Not sure yet. Thank you for offering to borrow your pack. I wouldn't want to put you out. Thank you for all your help. Truly helpful with actual experience is worth its weight in gold.

Thank you

Mike
Mike, good luck and let me know how it works for ya.

Randy