Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

My new Stone Glacier Pack just arrived.......

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2013, 07:56 PM
Silver Member

Re: My new Stone Glacier Pack just arrived.......

any more updates?
Old 09-23-2013, 09:19 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFishBox View Post
any more updates?
Well, it got a workout this weekend, along with me. Managed to take a cow elk Saturday night right at dark. We hiked back in on Sunday morning and recovered her. I usually take my horses to pack out meat but we decided to go ahead and pack being it was only about a mile or so although there was some elevation gain.
However, we made the comment several times as in--"why did we do this?? And where are the horses?"
As I mentioned before, I have the approach pack and it worked absolutely great. I had all my day gear in it and the first load out was a hind quarter. Super easy to load and it carried it very well. You just adjust the straps, pull the pack out and dump your load onto the load shelf. Then everything is pulled tight and it did not shift one bit---I really like this system and it is super simple. The other thing that we did is pull the cow off the steep hillside by putting a rope around the bottom of the backs and around the animals neck. Then we both just leaned forward and pulled her down to the flats where we quartered her. It worked great. Here are a couple of photos from this weekend. Lots of bulls but we could just not get them to come in. I had the bulls in the photo at around 80 yards right at dark but we shoot traditional gear and I need to be about 20 yards.

Randy
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
My new Stone Glacier Pack just arrived.......-elk-hunt-061.jpg   My new Stone Glacier Pack just arrived.......-elk-hunt-066.jpg  

My new Stone Glacier Pack just arrived.......-elk-hunt-069.jpg   My new Stone Glacier Pack just arrived.......-elk-hunt-012.jpg  

My new Stone Glacier Pack just arrived.......-elk-hunt-040.jpg   My new Stone Glacier Pack just arrived.......-elk-hunt-030.jpg  

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than be in any city on earth." ---Steve McQueen
Old 09-29-2013, 06:47 PM

Man, my Kifaru Longhunter weighs 9lbs. empty. I will look into this one. I like the shelf on the inside close to the body. Very nice. Please update us on this rig. This may be my new sheep/goat pack.
Old 09-29-2013, 07:52 PM
Silver Member

As a backpacker I gotta say that 9 lbs. empty is WAY to heavy for a pack, any pack.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:28 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugernut View Post
Man, my Kifaru Longhunter weighs 9lbs. empty. I will look into this one. I like the shelf on the inside close to the body. Very nice. Please update us on this rig. This may be my new sheep/goat pack.
You'll never look back.

Randy

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than be in any city on earth." ---Steve McQueen
Old 09-29-2013, 08:52 PM
Silver Member

I have a great buddy with a Stone Glacier pack and have used it a couple times. Incredible pack and quality. The rifle carrier had a bit of a snafu, but Curt is working on that. He refunded my buddy's $ on that just because he wasnt 100% satisfied. Im considering one for myself now, likely next season. As for boots, I tried Kennetrek, no way for me, or Schnees, Ive had them and wore out way too fast. Its Scarpa for all except super cold and for that - Hoffmans for Pacs, made right in North Idaho. will outlast Schnees by a huge amount of years.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:27 AM

As far as boots go, HanWag's from Lathrops and Son's have been great for me. Great service.