Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Multipurpose Pack, eberlestock J107M or mystry ranch CC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2012, 10:08 PM
Gold Member

Re: Multipurpose Pack, eberlestock J107M or mystry ranch CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroducksx3 View Post
after talking to someone with some expierence it looks like with my torso length I would be dissapointed with both the eberle and mystery and am now looking at the kifaro timberline 2 or 3 and adding a scabbord
The J107 is pretty adjustable, not sure what end of the torso spectrum you are on.

The J107 is not the lightest pack made, but I like it as it is well designed and works well both as a daypack and for hauling out a load. I've hunted with it as a daypack, packed in a 3-day camp, and come out with 90-100lb after a successful hunt. Very nice.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:39 AM
Platinum Member

You might look at Nimrod packs. They are modular, and make firefighting packs. They where the first to have a rifle carry system or bow. I have a Pinnacle, actually 3. And I have the fanny, hydro, meat duffle that stores inpack and buckles on, and also the frame that fits, harness, so to speak. I keep frame in jeep, and always have one,that attaches to fanny part.I use a safari sling, my rifle will do me no good on pack when facing off a grizz.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:46 AM
Silver Member

I hear great things about mystery ranch, can't give any input on them as I've never tried one. Same with Kifaru and KUIU.

What I do know is that I really like my Eberlestock J34. The layout and expansion fits my use very well. I've had over 70lbs in mine and been fairly comfortable. For me much more than that isn't comfortable with any pack, I just do it anyway. The eberlestock's advantage to me is that is works really well as a daypack and can function to do everything else. I use it mostly as a daypack. If I really wanted it primarily to pack a load and still function as a daypack I might look at something else. The biggest downside I see to an eberlestock is that they expand out instead of up so if you have meat in the main compartment and then add camp to a duffle your center of gravity is further back. The biggest upside for me is that I can use it as a nice comfortable daypack, then still get a hindquarter and the backstraps of an elk out with me efficiently after I shoot it. That makes one less trip later. I find the scabbard pretty quick and convenient also. The first year I had mine I jumped a coyote from a patch of brush and killed him 47yds from the patch if I remember right. It's been a couple years and I wouldn't swear to that distance without checking my old post. I know when I spotted him I had the gun drawn and on him without thinking, that is what counts for me.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:24 PM
Bronze Member

Just had to chime in. I've been looking for a reason to talk about the Mystery Ranch Crew Cab pack. Took mine on a 5 day hunt in Colorado. It was great for packing in and out, and also converts real small for using as a daypack. Found mine on Craigslist, so it didn't cost too much. Main benefits are its flexibility depending on what you need it for, and it really carries the heavy weight well. I just wish I could tell you how it performed packing out an elk....
Old 03-23-2012, 12:10 PM
Bronze Member

I am currently in Afghanistan leading a sniper team. Out of all 3 teams there are 4 Eberlestocks and 6 mystery ranches. There are the Eberlestock Dragonfly and Sky Crane and Myster Ranch 6500 and Long Bows. I have the 6500 and Longbow. All the guys with the Eberlestocks regret not going to extra money for the Mystery Ranch. They are both good but after 80 to 90 pounds the Mystery Ranch takes it by a long shot. The Mystery Ranch seems to be more adjustable and modular. I would go for the Mystery Ranch personally but if you dont plan on carrying more than 75 pounds the Eberlestock would be fine in my opinion. Take it for what you will.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:41 PM
Gold Member

I went with a kifaru timberline 2 and love it. Compresses pretty small for daypack use after you empy your gear at camp. Have had over 70 lbs in it and it feels much better than the eberlestock with much less weight in it even.