Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Mountain hunt daypack essentials

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2010, 10:10 AM
Silver Member

Mountain hunt daypack essentials

I have been on 4 mountain hunts with a friend of mine who always thinks I pack way to light. We hunt Wyoming in late October or early November. The day starts with a 5 mile uphill hike into the area we want to glass at daylight and then hunting from there. The farthest we have ever ended up from the trailhead was 12 miles according to the GPS. We have always come off the mountain each night, but I want to be prepared to survive a night up there if necessary. We also have connections to have horses pack animals out if we are to deep, so we don't carry frames each day.

I started the first year with a list of what I carried in my daypack, and checked off items I actually used, and items I don't feel safe without. After 4 hunts this is what I still carry. I work on a family ranch in Kansas, so I spend the majority of my time outdoors and am in fair physical condition. For those with more experience please critique my gear and let me know if I am missing something important or if I have my bases covered.

I usually wear an uninsulated windshear hooded pull-over, jeans, and gaiters if the snow requires it. I am fairly hotblooded and don't want to overheat while traveling.

Pack-items other than shooting aids, bullets etc

-100oz hydration bladder (usually 1/2 full)
-Gerber knife/saw set
-heavily insulated ski-mask
-100gram thinsulate leather gloves
-extra socks
-polypropylene long underwear
-midweight fleece vest
-lightweight gloves
-cell phone
-140hr life headlamp with lithium batteries
-GPS with lithium batteries & trailhead marked
-1st aid kit
-2 space blankets (the biggest size)
-15ft of braided nylon cord 150lb test
-2 butane lighters
-ziplock bag of dryer lint (tinder)
-survival candle
-6 energy bars
-Katadyn micro water filter
-small knife sharpener
-game tag/license & a copy of the rules/regs

Anything missing?

Last edited by mcseal2; 07-24-2010 at 10:15 AM. Reason: forgot one
Old 07-24-2010, 11:24 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Mountain hunt daypack essentials

I would say you have a pretty good handle on it. My list is very similar but different in that I do not pack anything to wear with the exception of a rain poncho and a lightweight down jacket with hood and a extra set of gloves usually rag wool. No first aid kit or GPS. I use two aluminum canteens so I can warm the water in a fire if necessary. I know “aluminum is bad” I carry three butane lighters and matches but no tinder. I also packed two or three pillow cases for boned out meat. I still use a Madden internal frame pack that I have had for years and it works well for one two and three day jaunts.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 07-24-2010, 04:32 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for the reply.

I wondered if the vest & polypropylene set was all necessary, but I have always carried it. I haven't ever got cold enough to use any of it except the vest while glassing and if I am settling in for a long wait I can break out the space blankets. If I keep my core temperature up with additional vest and my extremities dry and warm I seem to be alright.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:24 PM
Silver Member

I would say you have a pretty good list together. You certainly have the right list of basics to keep you safe. One thing I alwasy take is a handfull of hard candy(jolly ranchers) when I go on a death march. Get neck deep in a miserable hike and have some candy. The little shot of sugar is a great pick-me-up.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:21 PM
Platinum Member

Unless your getting thirsty, hungry or find yourself staying mostly wet, I'd say you have a pretty good list. I like to take some mre's with me.

Last edited by Chas1; 08-03-2010 at 12:41 PM.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:35 PM
Platinum Member

Your list looks good to me! I carry Emergency drink mix, it keeps you in good shape but the taste sucks. I also carry preg. checking gloves and nitrile gloves for field dressing they really keep the sticky smelly stuff of you! I double down on the head lamps because someone all ways forgets theirs.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 07-26-2010, 03:05 PM
Silver Member

Thanks everyone for the replys. I thought I was in pretty good shape, but my friend had me second guessing myself. I'll continue letting him carry lots of extra weight and keep to my current list and a few of the items you suggested. I have lots of AI sleeves around, I'll be sure to add a couple for field dressing.

Thanks everyone