Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Military Packs for Hunting?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2014, 11:37 PM
Silver Member

Re: Military Packs for Hunting?

Persactly what GC BAILEY said!

Excepting the MOLLE modular pack, which is a heavy but well designed pack, I'd much rather carry an EBERLESTOCK Just One pack that has a rifle scabbard and is expandable to carry more gear or deer quarters.

Many of the replies on this thread indicate that their authors have done enough backpacking to know what a good (comfortable) pack should be. Then there are a few replies that plainly show their authors do not knowhow a good backpack is supposed to work and would not know a lift strap from a jock strap.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:47 PM

Yea and some people think that the more they spend on gear the better it is.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:35 PM

I started hunting again three years ago after a break of about 30 years. I'm still active duty and have been toting a rucksack for about that length of time. For hunting I'm using a modified Alice that I've carried for years. I know it's not the most comfortable pack but it's what I like. Over the years I've carried Lowa rucks when we first started looking at internal frame packs, Gregory's, and several others. Our rucks have advanced quite a bit over the years. We now have a set of Mystery Ranch packs issued. I still fall back on the modified Alice. I guess because I'm old and set in my ways. I guess the point of my babbling is that it's a case of whatever works for me. I have abused my Alice rucks beyond belief.
These modified Alice's are covered in various sized pockets and better hardware than the issued Alice. I like the big main compartment. I don't like how wide it is with the side pockets so last year I ended up adding compression straps to give it a more narrow profile.
With any Alice I do recommend improved shoulder straps and belt capable of carrying some of the load.
I have no doubt that all these hunting rucks are great. If I had $700 to spend on a pack....hell I'd buy a gun.
Thanks,
Andy
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Military Packs for Hunting?-img_20140122_174801.jpg   Military Packs for Hunting?-img_20140122_174841.jpg  

Military Packs for Hunting?-img_20140122_174509.jpg  
Old 02-05-2014, 09:08 PM
Silver Member

I have followed this thread for sometime. I am looking at a military pack to use for my pack system. I am looking at the FILBE pack system that is currently used by the U.S. Marines. It will be mainly used for camping and not so much hunting. I don't pack in and hunt (although I would love to) but I carry a MUCH smaller day pack on my hunting trips now.

If you have any thoughts on the FILBE system please post them on the new thread I just started.

Thanks, BK
Old 02-06-2014, 10:20 PM
Bronze Member

Who makes the side pockets & how are they attached ?
Old 02-07-2014, 10:38 PM
Silver Member

Granite Gear makes nice side pockets. Attatch them with short nylon web straps & plastic QR buckles.

REI sells the straps with buckles sewn on.

Side pockets are great for carrying gear you want in a hurry like 1st aid, potty kit, water treatment, etc. They usually increase pack volume by about 800 cu. in.+ or -, per pair.
Old 02-09-2014, 01:12 PM

The ruck in the pic is a Blackhawk. The Malice from Tactical Tailor is another good one. They come with the pockets already attached. I think their are several variations available.
I did check out a few of the Eberlestock the other day. They look very well made and well thought out. I would like to try one in the field someday.