Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Military Packs for Hunting?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 08:29 PM
Banned

Re: Military Packs for Hunting?

26 years as a Scout leader and several 50 milers Alice packs have held up.
Hiking in summer temps the Alice stay much cooler because of open backs........
A strong medal frame which holds up and well hunting in the Sawtooth country
for both elk and deer work great and have packed out many animals.....
Have had many new packs that have broke down on the trail well I am sold on
the Alice packs....
Old 05-25-2013, 11:23 PM
Bronze Member

I know this is an old post but this is what I created with a military pack. I used the pack in the picture by itself in Wyoming last year and it worked great.

For My Idaho Elk trip this fall I am attaching an Eberlestock scabbard onto the pack using the molle system. I still have to test it to see how the scabbard works on the rear of the pack, instead of behind the frame like the eberlestock packs. I still have one strap to attach around the top so the top of the scabbard doesn't pull away from body.

Military Packs for Hunting?-kgrhqjhjfcfcjhn2uj5bqrm6-qtpg-60_57.jpg

Military Packs for Hunting?-img_0694.jpg

Military Packs for Hunting?-img_0695.jpg

Military Packs for Hunting?-backpack.png
Old 06-11-2013, 09:26 AM

I find the MOLLE II Large rucksack a very decent pack that can comfortably pack heavy loads. The modular aspect is a plus and allows for a bit of freedom in configuring the pack for each trip. I built a Kifaru style gun bearer and it works well. Brand new in the original packaging the pack was $130 CDN. The way I have it configured I have about 5500 cubic inches (90l) of cargo space. Add the day pack and I can go over 600 CI (100l).
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Military Packs for Hunting?-gun-bearer-2.jpg   Military Packs for Hunting?-gun-bearer-3.jpg  

Old 06-11-2013, 06:15 PM
Bronze Member

With 14 years of service I can say that I wish the military would purchase their packs from badlands or tenzing. The Molle ruck in my opinion is garbage. The Alice pack is much better, but still not ideal. Sure you can load both packs with tons of heavy stuff, but neither are good for load bearing.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:18 PM

I hear a lot of love for the MOLLE II and hate from many as well. The same for the ALICE. For my body type I find the MOLLE II Gen IV frame pretty comfortable with heavy loads. It's not perfect for sure but for many of us the price is affordable and it is a fine enoughpack. The ALICE is reliable but I don't find it any more comfortable than the new MOLLE II. In fact the my kids "Hellcat" is pretty much the best of both and it seems a good hybrid. That said this summer I hope to buy a Mystery Ranch NICE frame with the MOLLE adapter kit. It's about $300 bucks. We'll see if the finances allow for it but I think it is a great upgrade.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:26 PM
Bronze Member

I shouldn't speak so boldly against the Molle and the Alice pack. I just have a lot of miserable miles with those packs under my belt. They lack good load lifters off the shoulders and they are not adjustable to people of different sizes.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:54 AM

82nd you can say what you want about either of those packs, you have earned that after 14 years of government issue. If I could buy any pack and $$$ wasn't an issue it would be the Narrona Recon. I also like the Tactiplane and Grizzly from Mystery Ranch and several of the Eberlestock products, especially the Dragonfly, but that Narrona is built with an external frame and I do prefer them for the ventilation.