Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Meals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2012, 09:04 AM
Gold Member

Re: Meals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgun 30-06 View Post
What were you shooting with a slingshot?
The slingshot is to "quietly" add to the food larder. Grouse, squirrels and the very occasional rabbit/hare. I'd just cut the meat up and boil it with 1/2 a Top Ramen. Camp meat can add a couple of meals and extend your stay by a day or so. I use it only to replace a meal, not to supplement a meal. With a lightweight sleeping bag or wool blanket strapped to my day pack along with a small tarp and I would stay in about 3 or 4 days if there's water available. Camp was anyplace I got tired. I don't do it as much anymore because I need to get back and tend the pack animals but it's still a good way to scout.

Of course this was only when I hunt/scout alone. I'm almost always a little hungry and talking about it makes it worse. Come to think of it, Beef Stroganoff is sounding pretty good!
Old 07-08-2012, 05:53 PM

Mt House ProPaks augmented with dried mash potatoes are a great evening meal. They pack small too as the air is sucked out of them. They are slightly smaller than the regular Mt House meals, hence the mashed potatoes added in.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:39 PM
Silver Member

1+ on Mountain House my favorite Chicken Teriyaki with Extra Chicken in foil package from grocery store.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:33 PM
Bronze Member

While there may manufacturers that may have better meals on an individual "meal" basis, overall I have been very happy Mountain House and they certainly have a good selection. The best thing is that they can be purchased at almost any department store with a sporting goods dept.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:12 AM
Silver Member

I dont know if anyone here has said this yet in this thread but I like Mountian House! haha just joking, but for real its pretty obvious they are the go to meal if commercially bought meals is what your looking for.
Old 07-31-2012, 04:17 AM
Platinum Member

We carried Ramen noodels when we camped in gunnisen Colorado. It was light weight but requires water . We stayed in the Mtns 3 days and nearly starved to death . I also was dead tired at the end of the trip. I would make sure I got the right food to keep my Energy level up if I where to do it again.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:56 PM
Silver Member

I'm also a mountain house fan. The chicken rib meat & mashed potatos is by far my favorite. I get it in the 2 serving size also, and it is pretty darn filling. I was very sceptical the first time I opened one but it tasted and even looked darn good after it was "cooked".