Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Meals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2012, 10:18 PM
Silver Member

Meals

I am going on a backpack hunt this fall. I have done some in the past but its been a few years. What do you all use for your dinner meal. I am thinking freeze dried but am not aware of the newer quality and which brand you all use?
Old 06-29-2012, 05:47 AM
Silver Member

Re: Meals

I prefer "Mountain House" when it comes to freeze dried meals.

The beef stroganoff is my "go to" favorite. Typically the are very lightweight and packable. Most importantly they taste good! They run about $6-8 a piece. You can get differant sized/portioned meals. As a big man with a big appetite I opt for the "2 serving Po-Pak." It's always enough food for me! If your going with a partner they make larger 4 serving meals also. They are cheaper than buying two meals with less weight and less bulk as well. And if you have unopened meals left at the end of the trip they will stay good for the next hunting season. (Also good to have around in case of emergencies)

Yeah they cost a little bit. But a good hot meal that you didn't have to break your back humping in is worth it everytime.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:02 PM
Silver Member

Mountain house was one of the brands that I have been looking at. I will be selecting meals heavy on pasta (carbs) and calories. Appreciate the help. !!
Old 06-30-2012, 02:02 PM
Platinum Member

Mountain House is the best by far and I used quite a few on an 11 week 4 state trip last Fall. Ten minutes or so and you can eat it right out of the pouch to save having to clean dishes, pots& pans, etc. I bought several #10 canisters of my favorite ones and then vacuum packed individual meals out of them for about 30-40 suppers. Beef stew, beef stroganoff, and chicken & rice are my three favorites.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:05 PM
Gold Member

I've gone pretty spartan. Jar of peanut butter & hard bread like pizza crusts. Some freeze dried oatmeal some nuts and a slingshot to kill camp meat along the way. Most of my weight was in water.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:36 PM
Platinum Member

What were you shooting with a slingshot?
Old 06-30-2012, 10:47 PM
Silver Member

I will have P&J along for lunches. I also have planned on prepacking in a ziplock bag, Oatmeal, a dried milk like product, granola and brown sugar for a breakfast meal each day. It will be a quick pick me upper. Also a large amout of chocalot for snacks. Instead of a sling shot I will carry a rifle.