Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Looking for Tent advice.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2012, 11:53 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Looking for Tent advice.

Some others to look at, but certainly not exhaustive, but will give some good ideas if nothing else: Backpacking Tent Reviews - OutdoorGearLab

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 08-26-2012, 12:57 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks for the great input on the different tents. I really like that you specified about the different types of fabric weight and fabric material. I will be going with a more robust fabric as I like to use my gear a lot. When I was at REI looking around a lot of there really light weight tents fabrics seemed super thin and well quite fragile. I also really like the visualization/rational of little kids not being quite as delicate with the tent. I can pretty much visualize my dog having the same theory, Although he usually sleeps out side of the tent some times he comes barging in to visit when I open the door.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:25 PM
Field Editor

MNHUNTER86 -

I've had the smaller version of the Big Fat Frog - the Tadpole -for quite a few years now and I've been really happy with it. It's been dragged all over the place including summer Boundary Waters trips as well as western hunting trips.

It's held up very well and is very sturdy while being reasonably light (especially for the pricepoint). I use the Tadpole as an oversized one-man tent so I have room inside for gear as well as under the vestibule.

It sets up very easily. I like that I can pick the whole thing up and shake out the dirt and grass before stowing it.

Andy

Old 09-02-2012, 11:25 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco View Post
I own a REI Quarter Dome T2 Plus. Actual weight packed with footprint is 5lbs 10oz. It's the best tent I have ever owned!...........WELL WORTH THE MONEY FOR AN AWESOME TENT!
I have the same tent and agree wholeheartedly. I find it a little heavy and bigger then I need or can use in real rough country so I don't always take it, but I can say it is an incredibly good tent having low weight for the footprint, high quality, and fantastic room.
Old 09-05-2012, 04:16 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmden View Post
Also, take a good look at the Tarptent Double Rainbow: Tarptent Ultralight Shelters At 2lbs. 9 oz. it's hard to beat. The floor is not quite as durable and watertight as I'd like (get a floor saver), but many are very, very pleased with the design. I own the regular 'single' Rainbow and think that for a very comfortable, 3-season, 1 man tent at 2 lbs. 3 oz. it's very, very hard to beat for $245. Henry buys the same materials from the same supplier that I do and I know that the silicone coated fabrics he uses are very strong.
I have looked very hard at the Tarptents and the STratospire2 is on the short list for next year gear upgrades!

To the OP, you may want to check out the GoLite tents and shelters. They have the option to go floorless if you ever want to, are very lightweight for the amount of space they provide plus they are very reasonable... There is a very well regarded couple on another website that spend 100+ nights a year in their GoLite tipi in Alaska and they love it. Other popular brands that guys I would consider 'hardcore backpack hunters' include Kifaru, TI Goat, and the Hilleberg Atko are all up there in quality, versatile systems! I know that I've never humped around a tent that weighed more than 3 lbs and I don't ever plan to.. 6-7 lbs for a 3 person shelter should get you something akin to a Holliday Inn in the back country!

Best of luck with whatever you decide!

Mike
Old 09-07-2012, 07:43 AM
Bronze Member

Hellscanyonarmory,

That stratospire 2 made by tarptent looks out standing! Looks plenty big for two people plus plenty of room for storage in the vestibules. Although I don't own any trekking poles but I'm sure I could come up with something that would work to erect the shelter.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:15 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNhunter86 View Post
Hellscanyonarmory,

That stratospire 2 made by tarptent looks out standing! Looks plenty big for two people plus plenty of room for storage in the vestibules. Although I don't own any trekking poles but I'm sure I could come up with something that would work to erect the shelter.
I am planning on picking one up next year to try out. Either that or the Megatarp from Kifaru...

The more I use trekking poles the more I won't hunt without them. They are a MUST for myself on the hike in or trek out or with heavy loads... take a bit to get used to but every person that tries them, ultimately uses them.

Mike