Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Looking for Good boots for a Mid Oct Elk hunt in Colorado?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2014, 02:48 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Looking for Good boots for a Mid Oct Elk hunt in Colorado?

I use Danner Pronghorn and they work great for me hunting elk in November in Idaho. Best thing you can do for your feet is good boots and having them broke in before the hunt.

Last edited by theEMP; 05-01-2014 at 02:49 PM. Reason: I ment Danner not dinner. stupid auto correct.
Old 05-01-2014, 02:52 PM
Gold Member

Kenetrek. Ive owned Danner, Cabelas etc. I think they are the best boots by far.
Old 05-01-2014, 03:32 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowhunter7 View Post
I would suggest crocs from Walmart they are only like 10 bucks and are really warm.
Ha Ha. You bow hunters are funny. Always running around the woods in your moccasins and loin clothes.
Old 05-01-2014, 03:39 PM
Bronze Member

I just want to thank y'all for the input today. I was also looking at the Crispi line. I'm leaning towards the Kenetrek line but the only problem is I think I might need a little more insulation. I need a wide boot and their only line that has wide is the 400 gram boot. I guess I could always take a bunch of those feet warmers with if I need them. That way the boots won't be too hot if it isn't that cold out. Too big a boot and I won't be able to get my feet in the stirups. Also some GOOD wool socks. Thoughts?
Old 05-01-2014, 05:15 PM
Silver Member

I use my non insulated Kenetreks during the late season wyoming elk season with lots of snow on the ground and my feet are never cold. Also, any of the boots mentioned should not be a problem with stirrups.

The only time you would have a problem with boots and stirrups is if you tried to use pack boots like you would wear during the winter in the Midwest. Besides, these would not be conducive to mountain hunting.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:38 AM
Silver Member

Had kenetreks and gave them away. I own a pair of schnees granites and they are by far the best boot I own! They have 200gr insulation but don't let that fool you. I have wore them in bitter cold in Wyoming after elk and never got cold. I wore them in the Yukon for moose and grizzly too. They will be on my feet in 2016 for Dallas sheep and caribou if the good lord allows it.
I would suggest wearing better socks, I wear a liner and wool second layer and thickness depends on temperature. so U have 2 boots in one. You can take insulation out of socks but not the boot itself.
They have wide sizes too. Took no break in time at all. Definitely take a look at them.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:26 AM
Bronze Member

I'm with wollfman on this one. Schnees Granite are the best! Break in time is far less than kenetrek, 7 mm poly footbed on the Granites, metal footbed on the Kenetreks. Granites are 200 gr insulation but are warmer than Kenetreks 400 gr . Spend the money, you will NOT regret it!