Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Lightweight scope recomedations

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2009, 11:17 AM
Silver Member

Lightweight scope recomedations

Anyone have anybody have a suggestion on a good lightweight scope? I see Leupold has the "Ultralight" scopes available. Any experience with these light optics? I am thinking up the build of a lightweight back pack gun and I dont have alot of experience with optics in the lightweight department. Any other choices folks have had good luck with? I have several Zeiss conquests I Love and a couple Luepolds I am happy with as well. I am very familiar with good rifle optics I just am trying to find what the best/lightest??

Last edited by mtelkhntr78; 02-03-2009 at 09:55 PM.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:14 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Lightweight scope recomedations

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtelkhntr78 View Post
Anyone have anybody have a suggestion on a good lightweight scope? I see Leupold has the "Ultralight" scopes available. Any experience with these optics? I am thinking up the build of a lightweight back pack gun and I dont have alot of experience with optics in that department. Any other choices folks have had good luck with?
I have always been happy with my Leupold scopes and the Nikons as far as optics
and weight.

Burris makes some nice scopes at a reasonal price but they are a bit heaver.

Look at the different scopes at SWFA and look up the specs on each some of the very
best scopes are heavy 3 or 4 lbs and hurt in saving weight.

Leupold also makes a titanium ( Very light ) but it is expensive.

Also the size of the glass (40mm,44mm,50mm and 56mm) get much heaver as you go
up in size.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited by J E Custom; 02-04-2009 at 12:14 PM.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:19 PM

I have shot Leupies for over 40 years and use a lot of them on my mountain rifles (not really much use for any other kind here in BC). I have also bought four Zeiss Conquests over the past year or so and am VERY pleased with these, all in all; I consider them the best value in a really sound hunting scope.

But, I am pulling one off my P-64 Mod. 70 Fwt.-.270Win. in it's blind magazine Micky Hunter's Compact Edge stock and going with a Swarovski AV-3x9 due to it's roughly 1/4 lb. lesser weight.

I consider the Swaro rather over-priced, but, it is the best truly light scope I have shot with and this rifle is my "go-to" alpine one, with every little tweak I can use in a dependable crf rifle.I will be at 7 lbs. all up then and find lighter rifles are too hard to hold steady at 62, so, this is it.

I have a Brno 21/22 action, Recknagel trigger, Krieger ltwt. bbl., Micky Edge stock blank and am waiting on a 3-pos. safety by Satterlee from a bud in the States. This will be a custom .280Rem. with Recknagel rear peep and front post and bottom metal, a converted FN item; it should go about 7 lbs. and will also wear a Swaro AV-3x9. This is my all-time favourite "standard" cartridge with handloads and I am saving my nickels to have Ralf Martini build it for me.

So, I think this Swaro is the one, but, they are a h*ll of a price and only you can really determine whether that is worthwhile for YOU, relative to the cost of a Leupy VXIII. I have a 2.5x8 on my other Brno 21 .280R and have had a couple more of these and they ARE a good scope, no BS. Have fun choosing, it's all part of the enjoyment of hunting!

Last edited by Dewey; 02-03-2009 at 12:23 PM.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:22 AM
Bronze Member

Swaro AV 's for their optical performance and their Light Weight.. If you look around people are dumping them at very good prices...

AK
Old 02-05-2009, 10:29 AM
Silver Member

AK,
Thanks for the advice! I found a couple of Swaros that weigh in right at about 11 oz that I really like. I never gave Swaro a thought quite honestly, I always had it in my head that they were way, way out of my price range. The AV line has some pretty competative prices to Leup and Zeiss. I am keeping my eyes ope for a good deal now!
M
Old 02-05-2009, 11:34 AM
Platinum Member

I use a Kahles 3-9x40 with the TDS reticle. Swarovski also has the TDS.

BH
Old 02-08-2009, 12:31 AM

Not sure what your price range is, but Schmidt and Bender Summit scopes based on 1" tubes (announced at the 2009 SHOT show) might be worth a look. As far as I know, no specs are available yet, but I can't imagine their optics being anything other than amazing, but in a lighter 1" tube package. I would think they should be lighter than their 34 or 30mm tube counterparts.