Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Lightweight hammock........

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2008, 06:56 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Lightweight hammock........

I would tend to agree.

To the point that I would take a heated cabin over a heated tent anyday. But if the only option was a tent camp, the woodstove heated ones are very nice. I just have no experience in packing them in. Didn't know such lightweight tents were available. I always figured it was a horse pack train event.
Old 10-11-2008, 10:20 AM

Been using a Hennessey Hammock here in NW Montana for 2 years now...rolled up in a custom set of snakeskins it wraps around the outside of my eberlestock pack...weighs a bit over 4 lbs with underquilt attached and doesn't take up pack space...slept in the snow at 26 degrees inside the hammock...I was more comfortable than on the ground, but i was still a little chilled...I made an under quilt from a kit I purchased through Ray Jardines website...also made the sleeping quilt he sells...wear under armour and polarfleece sleeping gear, plus a space blanket...I am like you and can no longer sleep on the ground at all...been a little hard on my body...this system lets me still pack into the backcountry...am I comfortable...no...but at least I can still go with my nephew...by the way, this system is the ONLY way to go when the weather is 40 degrees and warmer...bottom line is that it is very comfortable down to about 40 degrees, the closer you get to 0 degrees the more it turns into just making it through the night. Nothing ventured, nothing gained ;)
Old 10-12-2008, 10:53 AM
Platinum Member

bushido2222 ,

I ordered a couple of hammocks and they seem comfy for the first couple of hours then -not so comfortable.
Haven't tried the jacks r better lay flat type -i refuse to pay $200 for a piece of nylon cloth and a little cordage.
I don't like the way a hammock blocks my view to the side etc..

A friend gave me a few tips on traditional camping that make sense -so i might remain a ground sleeper.
His advice is to trench in a little spot so that you don't slide off of your mat -any movement while sleeping keeps you centered on your mat <- that's one of my biggest complaint.

Hammocks are definately a spring summer fall outfit unless your willing to spend a $1,ooo -i'm not-.
I have an ultralight 12oz. hammock that i'll replace the steel S attachment points w/a super light carabiner -should get it down to 8-9 oz's.I plan on trying it as a day break lunch break place to flop , might be ok to hang on a hillside and glass from -time will tell.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:19 AM

Have you looked at that little luxury lite cot??? 2 lbs....a little pricey...cabelas sells them now...did I already say they were pricey??thats why I can't venture an opinion...wonder if anyone here has tried one...hmmm
Old 10-14-2008, 05:38 PM
Platinum Member

I had the luxury lite cot on my favorites before my computer crashed [onto the floor].Although i didn't know the price!

$200 shipped is pretty expensive -although when you consider a blow up matress at $90 -well it's still expensive lol.

I've started back working out 3-4 times a week and now my back is much better actually it's great now -so sleeping on the ground won't be as bad.
I plan on getting a z-rest to go along with my big agnes insulated air-core for winter camping .
Old 12-05-2008, 11:34 AM

I've been a Clarks Jungle Hammock guy for a few years now. I'll never sleep on the ground again. They are great in all weather. I have a couple of friends that slept in the snow last week. They slept great and were not cold at all. You alwo have a great camp chair with these.

Course I also use these

These are a few pictrures of my buddies from last week. The goats are packing about 55lbs a peice. makes for a nice hike and hunt when you arent packing anything.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:34 PM
Platinum Member

I hear they mow grass to !!

Cool pictures thanks and welcome !!-Mike