Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Light weight spotting scope?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2009, 09:21 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Light weight spotting scope?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy M View Post
What do you use/recommend for a lightweight spotting scope for a backpacking/hiking hunter?

I was a little frustrated at a half mile yesterday when I couldn't tell if this young buck was legal or not. Has to have three tines on one side to be legal. For optics I had my 8x Swaro rangefinder and the 6x scope on my rifle.

I stalked to 175 yards, and waited for an hour and a half for him to wake up and pull his head out of the brush where he was napping. Then saw that he was clearly a legal buck and put one through his shoulders.

Would have liked to have known when I saw him bedded down, but looking around and I was a half mile away.

Which scope/binos would you suggest - keeping in mind that I do a LOT of hiking as well as some backpack hunting and would like to keep the weight down...

Thanks, Guy
GuyM, what kind of a budget you have?
Old 11-21-2009, 10:28 PM
Platinum Member

Guy M, thanks for the thread.
I am in the process of looking for a spotting scope also.
I use as binos a set of Pentax PCF 20x60, yes they are big and heavy, but I use them strapped to my chest with an elastic strap that I bought years ago and has proved to be very useful. But for the long range deer glassing I find that I need a spotting scope, also for bakcpack hunting, not heavy, and not in the swarowski price range. Have looked at the Bushnell Trophy 20-60x65. Any other suggestions???
Old 11-22-2009, 10:22 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUAINAMACHERO View Post
Guy M, thanks for the thread.
I am in the process of looking for a spotting scope also.
I use as binos a set of Pentax PCF 20x60, yes they are big and heavy, but I use them strapped to my chest with an elastic strap that I bought years ago and has proved to be very useful. But for the long range deer glassing I find that I need a spotting scope, also for bakcpack hunting, not heavy, and not in the swarowski price range. Have looked at the Bushnell Trophy 20-60x65. Any other suggestions???
I have tried upper, mid and lower end optics in binos and spotters and my eyes have turned me into a 90% performance for 1/4 of the price kind of guy (maybe 95% for 1/2 the price sometimes. ) With all of the technological advancements in optics of late it is hard to find a bad pair of optics with some basic research on sites like this as well as optic forums.

For me a spotter like you mentioned needs to be as light as possible, another negative for the high end stuff often times.

I would look at the elite 15-45x60. A very useful power range and very nice glass for the money. It is maybe $150 more than the trophy but well worth it in glass, durability, and other features like rainguard. Their excursion 60mm is getting very good reveiws as well. I have heard a couple different weights regarding it so I am not sure about that. It is either 38 or 48 oz. It was designed to compete with Leupolds FLP style scope and sounds like it does so very well. That leads me to believe it is in the 38oz range. Still that is over 10oz heavier than the Elite, if that matters.

There are other good spotters out there but the elite is one that I think has one of the best price/performance ratios for the lower priced spotters.

Hope this helps
Old 12-12-2009, 12:57 PM
Platinum Member

Ihunt w/10 x swaro's and a doubler for my ultra light set up bino 20 oz. dbl. 6 oz. FOR more scoping the nikon 15-30x50 @ about 12" and 16 oz. is great.
Old 12-19-2009, 10:51 AM
Silver Member

Nikon ED is a great scope in a small package
Old 12-19-2009, 11:02 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimoda View Post
Nikon ED is a great scope in a small package

Which scope are you talking about specifically?

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 12-19-2009, 11:57 AM
Platinum Member

same one above that I metioned , think it is field ED 15-30X50 SHORT and 16oz. I use the leupold 12-40x45, but it is 2x wieght , on sshorter hikes. Also some of my rifles have up to 14 or 20x so I use them to judge