Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Light weight midrange rifle ??'s

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2013, 01:51 AM
Silver Member

Light weight midrange rifle ??'s

Okay I am becoming a backpack hunter. I feel her in idaio that for me to kill a really big buck or an old big bull I need to become a mountain backpack hunter and get away and penetrate to high lush basins. I have chosen a 30-06 because I have 300 rounds to reload. Okay, my max range will be 500 yrds. Which 30-06 would you suggest for a light weight midrange hi to g rifle?

Darrin
Old 09-20-2013, 06:55 AM
Silver Member

Re: Light weight midrange rifle ??'s

I would look at the new Kimbers first. You will do fine with one m.o.a. out to 500 yards so any decent factory rifle will serve you well. Find one you like, get a muzzle brake installed if it doesn't have one, and get practicing.

Out to 500 yards you will be well served by a mil dot or BDC reticle so you don't have to click for elevation. This will help save weight by providing a lot more scope option than if you were clicking for elevation.

Light rifles will shoot very accurate. It's shooting them accurately (especially in the field) that is the problem.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:54 AM
Silver Member

A Remington Titanium would save you a bunch of weight, but they can be tough to find, especially if you are looking for a certain chambering.

Jeremy
Old 09-20-2013, 09:06 AM
Silver Member

Thank you for the replys. Gene I love kimber rifles and would love to own one. But as I was researching them they are out of my price range right now. I will own one one day. I was thinking of getting a savage lightweight hunter and adding a stock to it. Do any of you have experience with the browning x bolt 3d? So my bro I law has a gun store and I can get browning , weatherby, remington, or winchester at cost. He is a dealer . So that might change some things.

Darrin
Old 09-20-2013, 02:14 PM
Silver Member

I have an older Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker in .300 Win mag. with Browning's plastic stock. It's not a "light" rifle but at 8.5 lbs more of a mid weight. Still good enough for backpacking.

The X-Bolt, like the A-Bolt, has 3 locking lugs and this makes for a fast cycling bolt because you don't have to lift it as far as a 2 lug bolt like a Remington 700. Get a synthetic stock for lighter weight.

Browning rifles are noted for good out-of-the-box accuracy and they have a high resale value in case you get the budget for a Kimber..

The Savage is a good rifle with a good action IF you get one that shoots well. If it doesn't take it back and get another until you find a good barrel.

Finally... Buy the BEST scope you can afford to get, even if you have to stretch the payments out over one year. It should cost about as much as the rifle. I'd recommend a Bushnell Elite series scope or a Vortex scope.
Old 09-20-2013, 05:32 PM
Platinum Member

The Kimber and the Savage are within 200 bucks of each other in 30 caliber chambering.

Having said that, the Kimber comes with a snot stock and the Savage is wood, nicely finished, actually so nice you'll want to replace the stock with a snot stock anyway.

I'm not fond of the Kimber safety versus the savage recessed safety and both shoot well out of the box.
Old 09-21-2013, 05:55 PM
Silver Member

NULA model 24 280 Ackley Improved....!