Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Kuiu gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2013, 12:09 AM

Kuiu gear

Has any one out there tried any of the kuiu gear? Clothing, packs, bino harness etc. I am looking at getting some new gear and this stuff seems to be on par if with other high end gear like Sitka. It is also getting good review from magazine like Eastmans. Any thoughts?
Old 10-25-2013, 10:27 AM

Re: Kuiu gear

It is pretty much all very good stuff. Been using it passed 3 yrs from their beginning. I also have a full set of Sitka stuff and it just sits at home now.
Biggest issue is having your size in stock and getting it before you need it.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:39 AM
Silver Member

Great stuff, The founder of Kuiu was part of Sitka, he left Sitka.

Ive been using various items from Kuiu, I like it all so far. 2+ years of use for me.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:02 PM
Silver Member

I would definitely look into the kryptek line of things I purchased two pairs of pants the rain gear set base layers and vest I absolutely love the gear. I had a a bunch of sitka gear and decided to sell it all because wasn't going to spend around $850 on a rain gear set, that is dumb. So I tried the whole line of kryptek gear and it is the same quality if not better and the price is a whole lot better,I would never go back to sitka after wearing it. Two guys that were snipers designed it and they knew what they were doing, any question on it pm me
Old 10-30-2013, 05:44 PM
Silver Member

i have the attacks pants and the shirts . great gear !!!!
Old 10-30-2013, 09:10 PM

For those of you who have answered is it worth the money? It seems to be on par with other high end gear, and if I am going to drop that kind of coin it had better hold up...
Old 10-31-2013, 07:51 PM
Silver Member

Here's my .02 on Kuiu and Sitka Gear. I am what you would call an active hunter. I have tried many brands of camo hunting gear that I hoped would keep me dry while hunting the Oregon coast range. The problem here is that while it's raining it's also 50*....very humid. For me Kuiu and Sitka are in a tie for being light weight, durable, and most important breathable...as long as the DWR holds up. I sweat like crazy and with a good merino wool base layer...I use Smart Wool 150gm2 micro weight, this stuff manages to keep the rain off while not overheating me so when I do stop to glass I don't get that cold/clammy feeling.
Both camo patterns also work much better at longer ranges to break up the human silhouette.
For me it's a few base layers with a hard shell and a Kuiu Down shirt in my pack for insulation when needed. To me it's worth every penny and the Sitka Gear can be had cheaper if you shop for it.
Broughton fluted 5.75, 5c @ 28"
Graphite Black Cerakote
Jewell Trigger
GreyBull Precision Stock
180VLD's@3145fps. with 72.8grs. of H1000, 215m primer