Kimber 84m Montana ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2008, 11:50 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Kimber 84m Montana ?

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ol mike View Post
...Many people have kimbers that shoot 1/2" three shot groups -they get fired up when someone goes out buys a kimber in 300wsm shoots a 2" group w/ factory ammo -then crap talks kimber accuracy.
One little problem here Mike.... When I read all the different posts in the various shooting and hunting forums, I find the more recent Kimbers to get most mixed reviews by far. I mean by far. Some get good rifles and some get big headaches. To palm this off on lack of shooting skill and experience is a bunch of BS. I have never owned a Kimber, but until recently thought they were a great rifle. They definitely have *REAL* problems, not imaginary, you can do your own search, or I can do one for you and show more than two dozen threads on this subject and you wont find any other such problem talk about *ANY* other rifle.

When I pay hard earned $$$$ for a rifle, I expect a good product, one that shoots at least MOA without a lot of fine tuning, and cycles it's rounds without problems, You dont need a rifle in the field with extraction and feeding problems, especially one you pay Kimber prices for.

Kimber has some real problems and they are living on an old rep and a lot of folks are getting big headaches from it. Time to give Kimber a notice to shape up or get out of the business.

Let me know if you want me to do your research for you.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:08 AM
Silver Member

I own two Kimber rifles, an 8400 in 270WSM and an 84M in .22-250. Both easily shoot sub-MOA. Both also function flawlessly. Most horror stories seem to be second hand....."I've got a friend who says....." or "Some guy on an internet forum said.....", not first hand experience....."I've got a Kimber rifle and.....". Drawing such strong conclusions as "shape up or get out of business" and never even have owned a rifle built by Kimber......sounds like some REAL research is in order.

Last edited by Timberbeast7; 09-02-2008 at 10:18 AM.
Old 09-02-2008, 12:27 PM
Platinum Member

Timberbeast, from me you are getting it secondhand. I have seen a lot of *firsthand* statements from Kimber owners on numerous forums, who say, *I own a Kimber......* I bet if you did a little research you could find a few of these threads and PM, email, or call the owners and get the firsthand info, if you really wanted too.

I have also seen numerous owners like yourself who are very happy with their Kimbers.... but, I also see the others who are not happy. Not everyone will always be happy with their rifle. There will always be someone unhappy with even the best made rifle for whatever reason. But from what I have read, and I am totaly impartial other than what I have read, the Kimbers get way more complaints than any other make of rifle. The complaints are also very consistant about accuracy and extraction and/or feeding problems.

Last edited by MontanaRifleman; 09-03-2008 at 09:42 AM.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:20 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
I bet if you did a little research you could find a few of these threads and PM, email, or call the owners and get the firsthand info, if you really wanted too.
Reading internet threads really isn't research. Its a good place to start if you know who you are talking to, but talking to Jim-Bob or Bubba about why they like or don't like something is meaningless....they have no credibility. Read some reviews by credible sources. Most are very positive about the Kimber rifles. Or better yet, buy one or shoot a few on your own.

Are there issues with some Kimber rifles.....probably. Anymore than any other manufacturer....probably not. Do people bitch a lot louder when they are not satisfied with something they paid a little more for.....absolutely.

Would I buy a Kimber Montana......probably not, I think they feel like a boat oar (thats just my opinion). Personally I would look at Sako, they may not be as light (don't know) but I think their syn. stocks feel better.

Last edited by Timberbeast7; 09-02-2008 at 03:31 PM.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:02 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberbeast7 View Post
Reading internet threads really isn't research. Its a good place to start if you know who you are talking to, but talking to Jim-Bob or Bubba about why they like or don't like something is meaningless....they have no credibility. Read some reviews by credible sources. Most are very positive about the Kimber rifles. Or better yet, buy one or shoot a few on your own.
I have to respectfully disagree with you on this. You can do research on the internet. Take this forum for instance. I don't know any of the members here personally. But after reading numerous posts I can reasonably conclude that there are some very talented gunsmiths here and very knowledgeble and experienced LR shooters. It's true, one should always be cautious and even skeptical about information on the internet or most any source for that matter, but when you start reading the same thing over and over from different sources and see trends, that tells me there is some credibility to it.

I have no desire to buy a Kimber based on what I have read. When I buy a rifle I want reasonable assurance that will work well especially at Kimber prices. I like companies like Cooper and Sako who have excellent QC and test their equipement before sending out and offer an accuracy gurantee. These are the only two companies that I would buy a rifle from for that reason. Other than that I would go with a custom from a good gunsmith.

Quote:
Are there issues with some Kimber rifles.....probably. Anymore than any other manufacturer....probably not.
My opinion is they do have more problems than other manufacturers based on the fact of how many more complaints I read. Every now and then I read a complaint about a Remmington or Ruger, etc., But I honestly think I have read more complaints about Kimbers than all the other manufacturers combined. That's a trend.

Quote:
Personally I would look at Sako, they may not be as light (don't know) but I think their syn. stocks feel better.
Sako's are a great rifle, I just got one, a Finnlight 300 WSM. They are 6 3/8 lbs. 8 3/8 lbs now that I have a NF NXS on it. And I have not read or heard one complaint about them.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:58 AM
Silver Member

I respect your opinions, if Kimber has problems I'll beat them up just as much as the next guy....I just haven't seen them yet. And, you are right, this forum is probably one of the few exceptions in terms of excellent information (most of the time) on the internet.

On your Sako, is it an 85 or a 75? How's it shoot?

Old 09-04-2008, 10:19 AM
Platinum Member

My intent isn't to beat up on Kimber. They had an outstanding rep for many years and I hope they get it together and start producing great rifles on a consistant basis and back them with a guarantee. My intention is to bring to light the alleged problems and inconsistencies with their rifles and no one should take my word for it especially since it is second hand. I would hope anyone looking at Kimber would do a lot of research first. I know what a headache a bad rifle can be and I would hate to see someone's hunting season screwed up and them wasting a lot of time, effort and $$$ on trying towork up a load and troubleshoot problems, paying gunsmiths to fix problems, etc. Nothing is greater than a great rifle and nothing is worse than a bad rifle.

My Sako is an 85 and I just got the NF put on it and plan to work up a load here in the next week or two with 180 E-Tips. I'll post the results.