Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Kifaru Universal Military Gun Bearer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2008, 10:42 AM
Silver Member

Kifaru Universal Military Gun Bearer

I'll start this review off with the negatives: I didn't like that there was no indication when I ordered this from Kifaru that it would take 6-8 weeks to deliver. They also charged my credit card at the time I placed the order (9/25). Now, I don't begrudge a small outfit that's probably busy trying to fill existing orders. But let's just say there's room for improvement.

I really wanted this item to arrive in time for Montana's opener yesterday (10/26), especially since my LTR feels so top-heavy since I added a Harris bipod/podloc to it. I emailed them last Monday and Friday the UPS truck showed up. I installed the gun bearer on my 80's-vintage North face internal frame pack and was immediately impressed. It was easy to put on and the rifle felt comfortable and secure. The main reason I chose the Universal Military model was because of this old pack. Having two pieces, I felt that model would be more versatile, especially for a older, non-Kifaru pack. In fact, I ended up moving the bottom part of the gunbearer around to the back of my hip belt so that I could angle the rifle a little more.

Now here's the reason I'm even writing this review: This thing really works. And I certainly put it to the test yesterday. Over a 13-hour period, I had the pack off for less than 45 minutes. The only discomfort I noticed was that the strap on the opposite side of the pack pulled on my neck a little and I was a little sore there. In over 12 hours, the gun only came out of the bottom pocket one time and that was as I was putting the pack back on and fiddling with it. Unbelievably, it never came out nor did the rifle bolt ever open as I was climbing through and around some of the nastiest mix of deadfall and new growth in the state. The area I was hunting in experienced some heavy forest fires 20 years ago. While I do my best to avoid that stuff, there are just a few spots where it's better to struggle through a few hundred yards of it than walk a mile around it.

It was great to have both hands free at all times for climbing, pushing through the deadfall/new growth, glassing and checking my GPS. I also enjoyed not having to periodically switch the rifle from shoulder to shoulder or carry it sideways on top of my pack - all of which I didn't enjoy even pre-bipod and was reminded of during the opener of antelope season (although that was mostly driving with 30-60 minute intervals of walking).

I highly recommend this item (or their other gunbearer offerings at kifaru.net).

Jon

Last edited by jonoMT; 10-27-2008 at 10:46 AM.
Old 10-27-2008, 02:59 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Kifaru Universal Military Gun Bearer

o.k. Jon...nice review-BUT WHERE ARE THE PICS ;)
Am seriously considering one.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:20 AM
Platinum Member

I've been planning on getting one for a while now ,thanks for the review !

I'll have to check-out the differences between the military and civilian model.

The gunbearer really is the common sense approach to carring a rifle ,carring something w/ the weight baring on your hips rather than your shoulder is the only way the go..
Old 12-06-2008, 11:53 PM

The Gun Bearer is one of the best purchases I've made in a long time! It is the bomb. I use mine on Backpack hunts in the North Cascades. I'm very busy but I'll look and see if I have pics of the gun bearer in action. If I do I'll post pics within the week. It's a must have in my book!

"Thou shall hunt where there are trophy muledeer, or forever be plagued with mediocrity"
Old 12-07-2008, 05:40 AM
Silver Member

I still have nothing but good things to say about it. In fact, I'll be posting a review soon on the new Kifaru backpack I got recently. They made a believer out of me. I got to where I was confident enough in it to remove the sling from my rifle...one less thing to carry or snag on undergrowth.

Jon
Old 12-07-2008, 12:06 PM

Ditto, rifle sling stays home on high country hunts.

"Thou shall hunt where there are trophy muledeer, or forever be plagued with mediocrity"
Old 12-07-2008, 09:36 PM
Gold Member

My 2 sons and I have used the Kifaru Gunbearer for a number of years and I can't tell you how many hundreds of miles that comes to. I have nothing but positive comments on their system -- But -- keep an eye on the upper strap connection that goes on the shoulder strap of your pack. We have had 2 of them where the stitching has come loose. There was no dropped rifles or anything so it was not a problem. We contacted Kifaru and they said they got a bad batch from their supplier and promply mailed us replacements at no charge. I now carry an extra one down in the bottom of my pack.