Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Items needed for a long stay in the backcountry.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2011, 07:09 PM
Gold Member

Re: Items needed for a long stay in the backcountry.

Water purifier, MREs, Gortex / waterproof clothing, Great boots, Great tent and bag. I am a huge fan of Northface on the tents. Mountain Hardware on the bags. Make sure your clothing is of great quality. Waterproof and breathable. Strongly recommend the layering system for that time of year. Totally agree with previous post, that time of year you can have a 50 degree change in weather. Be prepared for everything. Remember the back country is unforgiving. You short change it and it will make you miserable. But packing in is a blast and you will have a ton of fun.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:51 PM
Platinum Member

I hunt a couple wilderness areas on a regular basis in MT.And I'm getting older, but still in a few days I could almost traverse them. I would be very familar with map,compass and gps. I would also have some flaging for marking camp or kill also.I've road in 27 miles and parked the horse and hoved it till dark,and sometimes it hard finding same spot in new country, weather moves in etc.
Old 05-15-2011, 03:02 PM

Just remember that MRE's are heavy. Even broken down, you save space but it still ways the same. If anything I would take the main meal. That has enough calories to replenish you at night. When I pack in I usually take a 4 cup tupperware bowl w/lid. In the bowl I put instant oatmeal packets. I usually do 2 per morning and pack 1 Cliff Bar per day. One other tip. Try to avoid Camel Baks. To much added weight. I normally take 2 16 oz. Nalgene bottles and a good water filter. With clothes, meals and water my pack is normally around 50 lbs. for a 4 day hunt. Good luck to guys and I hope this helps.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:37 AM

First, purchase only top notch hunting gear, have a quality backpack, pair of good boots.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:58 PM

All of this has been very helpful! I have a badlands 4500 pack and love it and should allow me to carry everything I need. I also wear Danner boots, I know there is better but I have covered a ton of miles in Danners and I am not afraid to wear them anywhere. I have a list of items I think I need and it is a big list! I really need to try and fine tune this list. Everything from tent and sleeping bag, to food, and water purification. I want to be as light and mobile as possible but don't want to not have something I wish I had.
Old 05-30-2011, 03:03 PM
Bronze Member

Have you thought about doing a mock weekend trip with all the gear you plan on taking for your 9 day trip? I guarantee you will think of several things you need and possibly decide you may not need other items. Just a thought?
Old 05-30-2011, 05:02 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckfynn View Post
Have you thought about doing a mock weekend trip with all the gear you plan on taking for your 9 day trip? I guarantee you will think of several things you need and possibly decide you may not need other items. Just a thought?
That's a great idea and I do this myself. I bought a heavy pellet rifle so I can take it backpacking in an area that guns are prohibited during off-season. Give me an idea about my rifle carrying system. I also carry heavy equipment to mimic my actual weight when going into the back country. I find it useful for testing equipment and me.

Gordon