Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Items needed for a long stay in the backcountry.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2011, 09:31 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Items needed for a long stay in the backcountry.

I might add,

Most guys overplan there stay in the backcountry. Honestly if this is new ground to you I would not pack in 9 days of stuff. You park and pack in 4 miles north with a weeks worth of stuff and see nothing? Now what.

Your best option is to set up a COMFORTABLE base camp at the truck. If you get bad weather, injury, shoot somthing and pack it out, ect. You have a comfortable place to rest.

From there, spike out, pack lite for a one or two night outing, carry light, glass and move acordingly. If you don't find a shooter it is time to move to a different area, or go further in. If your spike camp is 4 miles in and you decide to go another 2-3 miles in, walk back to the truck empty, and resupply, leaving spotters and one gun at the spike camp.

9 days in one direction is a big investment, after all your hunting mule deer, I would hate to carry in 9 days of stuff and you both tag out on day 3. I've been there and done that in one weeks time I had set camp up 3 times in 3 different spots. The first and second were in very poor places that made hunting harder.
#3 ended up being a camp I used for another 4 hunts in following years.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:45 AM
Platinum Member

Check out these threads as well:

Mountain hunt daypack essentials

Backpack hunting question

Best base layer for tough physical hunting

Tents for backpacking...

Equipment for Backpack Hunting

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 02-21-2011, 11:23 AM

Thanks for all the help. It is going to be a long wait til October but I want to be ahead of the game. If you think of anything else please list it.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:42 PM
Silver Member

That is very good advice you've been given right there! I spend a lot of time in the Big Horns in Wyoming each year. You might be surprised by the number of FS roads in your area. You can usually drive quite a few miles in and make a comfortable base camp. Head out in the mornings until you find you need to do overnights. Pack accordingly each day so you can stay out if necessary. The controlling factors for finding the animals you want are weather and hunting pressure. Both are difficult to determine from a map. You will have just as enjoyable a time base camping and spiking out and probably more success.

Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyboy View Post
I might add,

Most guys overplan there stay in the backcountry. Honestly if this is new ground to you I would not pack in 9 days of stuff. You park and pack in 4 miles north with a weeks worth of stuff and see nothing? Now what.

Your best option is to set up a COMFORTABLE base camp at the truck. If you get bad weather, injury, shoot somthing and pack it out, ect. You have a comfortable place to rest.

From there, spike out, pack lite for a one or two night outing, carry light, glass and move acordingly. If you don't find a shooter it is time to move to a different area, or go further in. If your spike camp is 4 miles in and you decide to go another 2-3 miles in, walk back to the truck empty, and resupply, leaving spotters and one gun at the spike camp.

9 days in one direction is a big investment, after all your hunting mule deer, I would hate to carry in 9 days of stuff and you both tag out on day 3. I've been there and done that in one weeks time I had set camp up 3 times in 3 different spots. The first and second were in very poor places that made hunting harder.
#3 ended up being a camp I used for another 4 hunts in following years.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:26 PM
Platinum Member

I've seen many times the number or critters a ways off the road than on or near a road, road end or not. You can be quite comfortable a ways off the road if you have a good lightweight tent that you can put a lightweight wood stove in and have knowledge of what comprises quality, purpose built gear. Where I make camp for elk hunting, we routinely hear and feel footsteps of elk just a few yards from the tent at night. You're much more unlikely to get that at the road end and I can get quite a bit more sleep and use less energy to hunt longer because I don't have to take nearly the time and energy to get to areas with critters. JMHO

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 05-09-2011, 11:04 AM
Gold Member

After packing my spotting scope around and realizing how heavy it was I went out and bought a doubler that presses on to one eye cup of my binos. I bought the bushel elite 2.5 doubler and I think vortex offers one as well. Some might not think this is an adequate substitute for a spotter but my pack is much lighter and I'm not necessarily trophy hunting. I use my binos and if I'm having trouble telling if it's legal I put on the doubler and hopefully can count at least 3 points. So that's my idea if it's any good is up to you ;)
Old 05-10-2011, 05:55 PM
Gold Member

Don't forget to think about important items to have in your truck once you get back... like a set of chains in case you are parking somewhere remote/rugged. change of clothes, extra food, lots of extra water.

Also think about water storage wherever you end up setting up camp. You may not be right next to a stream. I always pack in two empty 1-gallon plastic milk jugs... just slash them on the outside of my pack. they weigh next to nothing, but it is great to not have to pump water every night when you get back to camp. All you'll want to do is boil water for your dehydrated dinner and get to bed.

Also, as far as food goes, you want to be smart. no junk food. only take food that is going to fuel you as you hunt. most people I know take halloween candy, and it sure tastes good, but does you no favors when you really need energy. Basic rule I follow is just simply avoid any sugary foods.