Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Intro. from a new guy.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2007, 03:45 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Time Long Ranger View Post
It was Alabama in 2002 but now retired in Wyoming...
What part of WY, I'm moving to Casper come next October when I retire.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:59 PM
Platinum Member

Thermopolis with the mild weather, worlds largest hot springs, low cost of living and low crime rate got published in a few retirement magazines listed as one of the top ten retirement areas in the country. We changed our plans from where we previously lived in Colorado to here and really love the area. Centrally located to all the good hunting, fishing spots, and the people here are great. By far the nicest weather in Wyoming. When you move stay in touch. Casper is a couple hours drive. I hear they have a nice range in Casper but haven't made it over yet.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:55 PM
Silver Member

We seriously considered that area, but in Worland. After all the thinking and pondering we chose Casper. I've spent a lot of time in Thermop and Worland and my aunt lives in Buffalo also have a several cousins in various cities and towns in WY. I love to hunt antelope in that area. Used to go to the old Gebo coal mine before they covered it up...
Old 11-29-2007, 07:59 PM
Silver Member

Last trip up there we went to Thermop with the grandkids and I took them up to the top of Old Roundtop. They had a great time.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:08 PM
Silver Member

Long R, You really need to get up north of Cody and hit up the Beartooth's if you haven't already. Check out Fishing the beartooths. Fishing and Fly fishing Montana's alpine lakes. . It's all about the high country, fishing, and lightweight backpacking, you should really enjoy it. Be coming through good ol' Thermopolis here in about 2 weeks on my way to Cody, from Kentucky. I love the drive from the reservation, through the canyon and up to Cody through Thermopolis. Therm is one of the most beautiful little towns in Wyoming. You need to write that ret. magazine and tell them to stop tell'n everyone about it.lol Have a good one.
Old 12-01-2007, 12:28 AM
Platinum Member

The kids love these hot springs and the area as much as I do. We had a couple of lions take up sanctuary on the side Roundtop in late summer. At night they would come into town and were seen frequently walking through the city looking for all the free meals (All the tame deer running around) I think there hides are at the downtown taxidermist now.

Thanks for the compliment on the city, I think so to but I'm biased. I was just up by the Beartooths last weekend playing deer pinball on the hiways. I managed to miss all the suicide attacks but they tested me real good. I agree that is a beautiful area and we have it on the radar screen for some adventures next summer. What you driving from Ole Kentuck to Cody for this time of year? Late elk or something? Have a safe trip and stay in touch.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:20 AM
Silver Member

Heading up north of Cody for a late season cow hunt with some friends of mine out there. Hunting up in the Sunlight and Crandall areas. Right before you get up to the Beartooth's on Chief Joseph Highway. BEAUTIFUL!! Can't wait!