Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

hunting pack

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2010, 11:32 PM
Platinum Member

Re: hunting pack

What happens with an Eberlestock when you get in any kind of trees, brush, etc. and your rifle buttstock is sticking out of the pack behind you well over the top of your head (First low branch...?) or the muzzle is sticking down below the level of your butt and you want to sit down?

I don't know Eberlestocks' that well, so I'm asking these questions--do you place your bloody quarters, etc. inside the pack bag to pack them out?

If you happened to see the elk of your dreams at 60 yds while wearing your rifle in an Eberlestock scabbard, how much time and movement is required to put that rifle in service? Will that animal still be there when you are ready to shoot.

I'm sure they are great packs...many folks like them, I just wonder about a couple of the features now and again and think that some folks considering new packs should consider the pros and cons certain designs might have.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 05-15-2010, 09:39 PM
Silver Member

It depends on the rifle. My 22" barrel 325wsm doesn't stick out over my head, and tucks in just behind and beside my head. Now my 27inch barreled 300rum sticks out enough to get hung if you crouch down to crawl through alder or under blowdown.

You yank the rifle out like a sword... it comes out fast like a ninja movie from the 80's. My little light mtn rifle (6 pounds scoped) comes out much faster than my 14 pound heavy barrel... but try and get it back in. You pretty much have to take the pack off. I used a fastex buckle to attach my sling to a shoulder strap, I only use the scabbard when I am going in a long way, or have a serious day of elevation to do.

And you sit on the other cheek, kind of lay on one side. A pedal bike is no problem, but a quad... good thing my quad has racks.

You forgot about steep downhill. Once you pass 100% slope the tip of the scabbard touches the ground when going down.
Old 05-29-2010, 03:55 AM
Bronze Member

Thanks LongBomber!
Terje