Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

How much water do you take with you?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2010, 06:46 PM
Gold Member

Re: How much water do you take with you?

Thats a good question, I never asked my DR if this would stop it. I just dont take any chances,
I was on antibiotics every day and had a real hard time keeping them down this hell I went through lasted a little over 2 weeks but I was run down so bad that I lost 20lbs in two weeks.
Thats no Bull $hit, I was not the same for most of a year. I know there are filters, thats great, I am gun shy and will be the rest of my life. I use two nylon canteens that I have had for 40 years
and never let them out of my sight..I told my son to buy his own. I keep two on me and a bottle of water in my pack.
Old 05-28-2010, 06:57 PM
Platinum Member

2 weeks and not holding much down + you know what your brains out and I'll bet you would loose some significant weight...must be some wicked stuff.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:40 PM
Gold Member

Chas1 it was comming out both ends. REMEMBER THIS! if you get sick like this, get some coke syrup or shake the fizz out and drink it flat...if you do hurle the syrup will coat your stomach
and will help keep the meds down. along with fluids.

There are rivers where you can get safe drinking water, but dont chance it..be safe.
this can be fatal.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:14 PM
Bronze Member

I only backpack hunt in remote mountainous areas of British Columbia it is very rare for me to not find or camp beside a glacier fed stream so I only carry a 1 liter collapsible water container.

In these areas I have never worried about impurities in the water I do when I am in low land but not up there.
Old 06-21-2010, 05:29 PM
Platinum Member

Moki, you might want to read kc's post...if you get it, it sounds nasty. Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:24 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moki View Post
I only backpack hunt in remote mountainous areas of British Columbia it is very rare for me to not find or camp beside a glacier fed stream so I only carry a 1 liter collapsible water container.

In these areas I have never worried about impurities in the water I do when I am in low land but not up there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas1 View Post
Moki, you might want to read kc's post...if you get it, it sounds nasty. Just my 2 cents.
Thanks for pointing that out... yes I did read it that is why I specifically pointed out that I drink from glacier fed streams without worry, should have added that I am not referring to when that stream was now in the valley but still up on/in the mtns when in low lands I have known from being a child that we need to boil our drinking water so I always boil it before I put it into my water container.

We call it beaver fever up here.. :(

I have an old friend that was a bush pilot in central BC in the 1950's that has for years shared some of the simple things to survive that he learnt from many of the old time prospectors/trappers that lived year round out in the bush this was one of them.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:57 PM
Silver Member

Use a large camelback blader, and a nalgen bottle 1 leter. The nalgen bottle is for the evening when I boil water for my mountain house, or ramen, then comes the high light of the day. One full nalgen bottle wtih one packet of Emergen-C, and one crystal light mini packet of mango tea. Even when the weather is not 90+, the sweatness gets you to drink all of the liquid, and helps you stay hydrated, and it tasts damn good.