Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

How much water do you take with you?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2008, 02:00 PM
Bronze Member

What I do is always have a couple of gallons (3-5) in my truck. If I know camp is going to be a great distance >10 miles from truck, I will make trips beforehand and stash water. I want my hunt to be all about chasing animals, not water.

I can deal with minimal water, but I move so much faster and longer hydrated, so will every else if they'ed admit it or not.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-22-2008, 11:27 PM
Bronze Member

get yourself in good cardio shape and you'll use less water. I carry only about 18oz of water with me and a light weight filter bottle and grab water when I find it.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:27 PM
Platinum Member

I hike with two quarts, but that not enough for all day. I keep a case of bottle water in my truck almost all the time( story goes with that). In place of water I carry juices and tray to cuthe coffee/cocacola/iced tea habit as mucha s possible. Caffeine dries out the joints and is the worst thing for you before or while hiking. I think some of the vitamin water might be ok but I havent used it much. I come from land of many good springs( not CO) so I tend to risk the giardia and drink out of spring seeps and creeks( not really a good idea but I do it anyway).

Each year my pack gets a lil heavier as I carry more water more ammo more food more more more stuff(while I continually seek lighter and lighter rifles). But it's good exercise.

NRA Life Member
Old 04-27-2010, 12:10 AM
Bronze Member

Re: How much water do you take with you?

2 quarts. I also take maps with water sources and a filtration system. Water is heavy but I would rather be tired from hauling it than dead from not.
Old 04-27-2010, 04:11 AM
Platinum Member

Depends on conditions. Could be as much as a gallon or as little as 1/2 gallon. Better to lug the weight than dehydrate.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:53 AM
Platinum Member

In COlorado you can NEVER carry enuff water with you. I cant imagine drinking from one of the bladder packs they sell( ewww) so I buy it cheap in quart size plastic bottles from ChinaMart then carry two large ones in my daypack. I also get iodine or other treatment pills for the water and refill the bottles as needed during the day. And thru all that I still get ill often. So drinking smaller amounts more frequently is wayyyy important. I;m working on that, so should you. Good luck.

NRA Life Member
Old 04-27-2010, 06:47 PM
Platinum Member

silvertip-co, are you getting ill after drinking the refilled water or after drinking the Chinamart?...I'm assuming it's from China...if so I wouldn't trust any container, water or anything from China.