Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

How much water do you take with you?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2008, 07:43 AM
Silver Member

How much water do you take with you?

I'm new to backpack hunting and I'm trying to figure out how much water people pack in when they go hunting.

If I ever do get a chance to go somewhere It'll probably be for 5 days to a week and I'm going to assume that there will be no water whereever I'm going to use a filtration system.

Any real amount of water gets heavy quick and that's the last thing I want to run out of, so how much do you guys carry in?
Old 06-10-2008, 09:38 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddy12b View Post
I'm new to backpack hunting and I'm trying to figure out how much water people pack in when they go hunting.

If I ever do get a chance to go somewhere It'll probably be for 5 days to a week and I'm going to assume that there will be no water whereever I'm going to use a filtration system.

Any real amount of water gets heavy quick and that's the last thing I want to run out of, so how much do you guys carry in?
Hi Teddy12b,

Usually - NONE - All I need is an empty plastic bottle, and when i got across of small creek I refill the bottle with fresh water. (I used a GPS to track all the water sources on the mountain).
The only time when I got with me some water is in plain areas, 750mL/day.
In time I learned a lesson, if I drink more water my body is getting tired, so I tried to keep it at minimal to dont get deshidratated.
Old 06-10-2008, 03:52 PM
Platinum Member

Have backpack hunted extensively in the coast range of California with the temps usually running 85+ and learned that 2 standard military canteens would get me through a day. Now here in Idaho I only carry one as there is lots of water. I donít carry a filter as I use springs and if near the source the water is clean. If you are in a populated area I would filter the water.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 06-11-2008, 12:37 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcebcj View Post
Now here in Idaho I only carry one as there is lots of water. I donít carry a filter as I use springs and if near the source the water is clean.
What about that "giardia" (sic) stuff. How close to the source is "safe"?

I've found that lugging 24 oz around usually gets me by. But, I'm gonna get a filter.;)
Old 06-11-2008, 01:06 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post
What about that "giardia" (sic) stuff. How close to the source is "safe"?

I've found that lugging 24 oz around usually gets me by. But, I'm gonna get a filter.;)

Giardia is a problem in a lot of places where there has been stock especially sheep. I live where I hunt and I know where most the springs are. The water for the place here comes from a spring. Just find where it comes out of the ground. If you donít trust it pack a filter. I never drink from a stream unless I have to.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 06-11-2008, 08:18 AM
Gold Member

Location: Sagauache County, Co...3170 sq miles, not a single stop light!
if there is no water.....

there arent going to be very many animals. there is always water somewhere. do some preseason scouting and locate the sources that the animals are using. another trick i have used is to pack water in on horses or a dirt bike if that is possible and leave it for later...AJ
Old 06-11-2008, 08:38 AM
Silver Member

I'm a big guy that sweats like a pig and drinks water like a horse for the most part. It's really not uncommon for me to down a regular sized gatorade bottle only tipping it up in the air one time.

I've got one of those straw looking filters because they look like they'd pack pretty easy, but I'm sure they don't get everything bad out of the water.

I use the 3L camelbaks and one of those can get me through a day and a half but who knows about how much more than that.