Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

How heavy a gun is too heavy for hauling?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2010, 11:50 PM
Platinum Member

Re: How heavy a gun is too heavy for hauling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLunG View Post
I find that I can handle the weight of a heavier rifle as long as I have a good carry system.

I've been using the Kifaru gunbearer system which is worlds better than slinged. My only gripe would be that the side you have it on still gets strained as the weight distrubution is uneven.
I've used the Kifaru gunbearer system for the past three hunting seasons. Three different sheep or Mt. goat hunts last season alone. Two of the hunts involved round trip mileage of 19-20 miles. The third involved about 12 miles round trip, up and down a mountain two different times. My rifle weighed about 9 1/2 lbs. My partner's rifle weighed about 8 lbs decked out. Every time I lifted his rifle compared to mine I was disheartened.

I find that I can only use the Kifaru system in fairly open, brush-free terrain. I often have to carry the gun in the brushy angled terrain. But the Kifiru is a definite improvement when walking the glacial river beds or other brush free areas.

If I knew I could ride a horse up to the location where I'd shoot from, rifle weight would only be an issue for the horse. When I expect to have to cover a lot of ground to engage the game I'm after, the thoughts of packing anything more than 11-11 1/2 lbs about makes me puke. But again - to each his own.

Last edited by phorwath; 04-01-2010 at 03:09 AM.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:54 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorwath View Post
I've used the Kifaru gunbearer system for the past three hunting seasons. Three different sheep or Mt. goat hunts last season alone. Two of the hunts involved round trip mileage of 19-20 miles. The third involved about 12 miles round trip, up and down a mountain two different times. My rifle weighed about 9 1/2 lbs. My partner's rifle weighed about 8 lbs decked out. Every time I lifted his rifle compared to mine I was disheartened.

I find that I can only use the Kifiru system in fairly open, brush-free terrain. I often have to carry the gun in the brushy angled terrain. But the Kifiru is a definite improvement when walking the glacial river beds or other brush free areas.

If I knew I could ride a horse up to the location where I'd shoot from, rifle weight would only be an issue for the horse. When I expect to have to cover a lot of ground to engage the game I'm after, the thoughts of packing anything more than 11-11 1/2 lbs about makes me puke. But again - to each his own.

I have to admit. I had the same expierence last year...Hunting all day and the previous day with my 11-12lb rifle... Set mine down and picked up my buddies and it felt like a toy...So light in comparison..
Old 04-01-2010, 02:22 AM
Gold Member

for every one of you is different how the body react to stress.
my rifle is 18lb, and i howl the rifle without hesitation every time.
just use a good system and you will be happy..
i used 2rifle leather slings tight together, so i havevthe rifle resting on both sholders...
i can run without problems in this way.
Old 04-03-2010, 10:19 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorwath View Post
I've backpack hunted in Alaska for the past 32 years. Eleven pounds is about the maximum weight I'm willing to pack around in the wilds. Nine pounds is much more doable. I know two different guys that strained their shoulders carrying around 11+ pound weight rifles. Took them months to recover. If I'm going to cover a lot of ground in mountainous terrain, I won't carry any outfitted rifle that weighs more than about 9 1/2 lbs. But to each his own.
I totally agree, and it is not just rifle, it is the binos,lazer, water food,flashlights, etc. My average day pack is 30 #,s bow or rifle, short hunts some time less, but they turn into long jaunts at times
Old 04-04-2010, 02:11 AM
Bronze Member

i think training has every thing to do with it yeah a heavy rifle gets old but you need to confindent in your equipment to make that 900 yard shot if your scout with the equipment you hunt with or at least the weight or it (some parks and managment area frown on carrying a rifle in the off season) but during sqouting i will put a few bircks in a backpack just to make it the same weight as my rifle and carry my normal pack with wind meter, bio, range finder carts maps everything else just keep in shap and it will all be fine i had a buddy i was hunting with got so winded after the long fast hike to flank on a moving buck he could never finded it in the scope i watch it the bio walk right in to the woods
Old 04-07-2010, 04:51 PM
Silver Member

We cover 6-12 miles a day hunting mulies and Barbary sheep in some terrain that can get pretty nasty. My 7WSM's hunting weight is 14.5# and it does get heavy about a half a mile from camp on the return trip, but then again so does my 20# pack and my feet.

I don't have a sling on it, just carry it on my shoulder or in my hand. Everyone I know calls me crazy, but I feel comfortable with it and don't mind the weight.
Old 04-07-2010, 05:04 PM
Platinum Member

I'd bring the gun your most confident in that will do the job. IMHO I don't think lighter is good justification for taking a weapon that is less than the best one for the job.