Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

How heavy a gun is too heavy for hauling?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2010, 07:08 PM
Silver Member

How heavy a gun is too heavy for hauling?

Looking for opinions on a basic issue. I'd love to take my 7wsm tactical/long range gun on my next mulie hunt in western Wyoming. The issue is it weighs just shy of 15 lbs. From camp to higher elevation hunting areas would be on horse back. From there it's shoe leather. I realize an appropriate pack (Gunslinger or the such) could help. On last years elk hunt my 6.5-284 Cooper at 9lbs. scoped was a non issue. I'm not weight shy, just want to know what lengths the rest of you go with your long range rigs. I'd hate to handicap myself but this gun is 1/2" and under all day long!
Thanks for your feedback.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:53 PM
Bronze Member

Re: How heavy a gun is too heavy for hauling?

When it so heavy you don't want to pack it...Thats too heavy....
Old 03-31-2010, 09:44 PM
Platinum Member

My LRH rifle is 13.4#, but I would never pack it further than half a mile or so. I put together a 7.2# Sav .270 for high hunts, but I didnt liek the scope. So when I changed the scope and rings it went to 8.2 which I can sure pack along ways. Good luck on yours.

NRA Life Member
Old 03-31-2010, 09:57 PM
Silver Member

I took my 20lb 338 lapua improved for a 42 mile horse back ride into the Thorofare. I was glad i had my long range tactical rifle with me. I ended up killing a very nice 6x6 at 1103 yards (one shot kill). One thing you might want to do is to have a custom scabbard built for your rifle. Many of the guides dont have scabbards large enough to handel a large rifle with a big scope. My rifle has a McMillan A-5 stock and a NSX night force scope.

I went back to the Thorofare the next year and I took my Kimber Montana chambered in 300 wsm this is a 6lb rifle with a scope on it. My hunting partner Derek and I hunted very very hard. The last morning we found a 5x5 bull elk at 574 yards. Derek didnt feel confortable shooting that far so I decided to take the first shot. I hit the elk and it just stood there so Derek and I decided to keep shooting until the elk was down. Between the two of us 16 shots later the elk was down. To make a long story short my 6 lb light rifle had so much muzzle jump that it actually came up off my back pack and cut my forehead. I was completely embarrased because I do a lot of rifle shooting and could not believe that me. When we recovered the elk it had 9 bullet holes in it. I could not believe it did not go down sooner we had 5 great kill shots on the animal.

Buy a large scabbard take your 15lb tactical rifle with you and be happy. Remember you are hunting from a horse and the horse will carry your rifle most of the way for you.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:03 PM
Silver Member

On thing I forgot to mention is make sure you are in shap the higher altitudes will kick your ass. Our base camp was at 9748 feet. We hunted between 10 and 12 thousand feet. Make sure you jump on the stair stepper and the tredmill with the higest incline angle possible. Good Luck on your hunt and remember you cant train enough for the altitude.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:14 PM
Platinum Member

I've backpack hunted in Alaska for the past 32 years. Eleven pounds is about the maximum weight I'm willing to pack around in the wilds. Nine pounds is much more doable. I know two different guys that strained their shoulders carrying around 11+ pound weight rifles. Took them months to recover. If I'm going to cover a lot of ground in mountainous terrain, I won't carry any outfitted rifle that weighs more than about 9 1/2 lbs. But to each his own.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:26 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorwath View Post
I've backpack hunted in Alaska for the past 32 years. Eleven pounds is about the maximum weight I'm willing to pack around in the wilds. Nine pounds is much more doable. I know two different guys that strained their shoulders carrying around 11+ pound weight rifles. Took them months to recover. If I'm going to cover a lot of ground in mountainous terrain, I won't carry any outfitted rifle that weighs more than about 9 1/2 lbs. But to each his own.

If I am carrying a rifle slinged - I defiantely agree with this! Deer hunting here in SE isn't a flat land affair. Your hiking to the tops of steep gnarly mountins to the alpine with a pack and gear.

I find that I can handle the weight of a heavier rifle as long as I have a good carry system.

I've been using the Kifaru gunbearer system which is worlds better than slinged. My only gripe would be that the side you have it on still gets strained as the weight distrubution is uneven. I am looking forward to trying out a gunslinger or similar pack from Ebelerstock to see how the difference of the integrated scabbord works.