Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

How do you pack in a bow?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2013, 06:48 PM
Bronze Member

How do you pack in a bow?

How do you pack in a bow, along with a standard backpacking load for a spike camp? Assume 6-8 miles in terrain, so I assume handheld isn't really a good option.

Thanks in advance for the input.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:02 PM
Gold Member

Re: How do you pack in a bow?

I have the 'butt bucket' attachment for my eberlestock, havent taken it out west yet but around here it works good. If the area isnt too thick I strap the bow horizontally in the top flap of the pack..
Old 02-04-2013, 10:56 PM

Just stap it to the back of your pack. Or use a badlands with a small pocket to set the bottom limb in and strap the top. One thing to consider, if the season has begun you may want your bow handy. I very often just carry mine, even for 6 to 8 miles.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:17 PM
Platinum Member

When horse or bike it goes in a scabbard.When I hike I have double bow hooks on my fanny pack.One back and one forward on hip belt.Hans free for glassing
Old 02-11-2013, 04:23 AM

Take down recurve, it packs nice
Old 02-16-2013, 06:37 PM

Strap it to the back of your pack vertically. I have actually had straps for just my bow sewn on. You can also add a pouch (bucket) so your bow sits in a holder for the bottom of the bow(Badlands). Make sure the bottom of the bow is about 10" higher than the bottom of your pack, so when you set it down it does not sit on the bow cams. DO NOT make the mistake of strapping anything on the string-it will rub through!!
Another option would be to make a bow case from silnylon or even Cuben with straps sewn on so you can custom attach it to your pack.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:54 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by migolito View Post
Strap it to the back of your pack vertically. I have actually had straps for just my bow sewn on. You can also add a pouch (bucket) so your bow sits in a holder for the bottom of the bow(Badlands). Make sure the bottom of the bow is about 10" higher than the bottom of your pack, so when you set it down it does not sit on the bow cams. DO NOT make the mistake of strapping anything on the string-it will rub through!!
Another option would be to make a bow case from silnylon or even Cuben with straps sewn on so you can custom attach it to your pack.

That's the main thing I was worried about, the strings getting damaged. Last season I secured it in my bowcase with a couple straps that sat across the servings and roughed them up enough that I ended up having to replace the string. Other than that concern, I like the idea of the badlands bow bucket.

Chris