Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting


Reply

High Buck Hunt

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #22  
Old 11-12-2012, 04:23 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Eastern WA
Posts: 90
Re: High Buck Hunt

This was one of my heavier packs this year as it was the 3rd week in October, and we were at 8k' with snow predicted... Only a 3 day trip but including my rifle, optics, and water, my pack weighed in at 52 lbs. As you can see, I still had a LOT of room left in that T1... As far as my gear goes, I think I could shave off another 1-1.5 lbs by updating my sleeping/shelter system, and next year I'll have a < 9 lb rifle so there's another 3 lbs saved. Might be able to shave off another 1/2-1.5 lb by updating clothing, and going to a better/lighter water filter (another 6-8 oz saved). So with all of that in mind, IF I were to upgrade all those items, I'd be in the $4k range including rifle pretty easy. And all that for only around 6 lbs of saved weight. Pretty rediculous huh?





Mike
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 11-12-2012, 06:42 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 548
Re: High Buck Hunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellsCanyonArmory View Post
This was one of my heavier packs this year as it was the 3rd week in October, and we were at 8k' with snow predicted... Only a 3 day trip but including my rifle, optics, and water, my pack weighed in at 52 lbs. As you can see, I still had a LOT of room left in that T1... As far as my gear goes, I think I could shave off another 1-1.5 lbs by updating my sleeping/shelter system, and next year I'll have a < 9 lb rifle so there's another 3 lbs saved. Might be able to shave off another 1/2-1.5 lb by updating clothing, and going to a better/lighter water filter (another 6-8 oz saved). So with all of that in mind, IF I were to upgrade all those items, I'd be in the $4k range including rifle pretty easy. And all that for only around 6 lbs of saved weight. Pretty rediculous huh? Mike
Great pic! $$ really is the name of the game to shed weight. It really is pretty ridiculous how much it all adds up, but so much fun. Even just to maintain your gear is alot of money. Something always seems to be worn out.

So here is ridiculous on the other end of the spectrum... the pic below is of me packing in during the 2nd rifle season in CO. The pic was taken around 9,800 ft. Including my rifle the entire setup weighed 93 pounds. I've got good gear and a light rifle, I just brought a whole lot of stuff in. But I am very familiar with the country, knew about how far I would hike to setup camp and I knew I could handle the weight. Packed in a 4-season tent since snow was in the forecast as well as plenty of warm clothes. Also brought a lot of food since I was planning on staying for 8 days. Really did not plan on taking in quite so much, just kind of worked out that way.

Ended up shooting a nice bull and the heavy pack never slowed me down. Took 3 full days to pack out the quarters and head/hide. I know my heavy pack has most of you frowning, but it's just what has worked for me. I have tried to just be happy with the gear I have and just enjoy being out in the mountains. I also spend a whole ton of time training all year round to be in great shape so I can carry a heavy pack.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
High Buck Hunt-0357028055012.jpg  
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 11-12-2012, 07:32 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Washington State
Posts: 2,454
Re: High Buck Hunt

Pack weight is so dependent on the type and location of hunt. My pack up to elk camp this year, with rifle, was right at 100lbs and we really don't pack in that far. But I had a 3+ TipiTent and stove (not the lightest setup, but incredible strong and comfortable--we had many good sized trees snap off 10' or so above the ground all over the area during windstorms over 2 nights, but the TipiTent had not one issue and with the Kifaru stove percolating along, we were nice and warm) and this is not exactly the lightest setup in the world, but very comfortable for a long stay, such as elk season. But where and how I elk hunt is much different from where and how I hunt deer and bear, mainly due to the several thousand ft. vertical involved and the the fact the deer and bear hunting is in late summer and much warmer than elk hunting. Gotta change the gear to the situation, no doubt about it.

HellsCanyon, would you mind giving us a few of your equipment choices and why? Always trying to learn a few tips...
__________________
In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. Genesis 1:1

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl

Last edited by jmden; 11-12-2012 at 08:05 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 11-18-2012, 11:30 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: WA STATE
Posts: 93
Re: High Buck Hunt

I hunt WA to i did not do the high buck hunt this year i did early rifle up high on the east side. We packed in about 8 miles from the trail head. My pack and gun weighed in right at 63 lbs total. I scouted the area several times with a day pack and spotting scope. Even then this is area has a few big fuzzy mean bears so i packed along the 44 on each trip. We camped in the treeline by choice and hiked up high in the dark i used for the first time a rain fly and hammock. Will i do it again i am undecided. It was ok but i was kind of scared to move to much while i slept and one night we had a black bear in camp and i am not sure me flipping out of the hammock or the profanity that followed scared the bear the most. I will have a lighter pack but heavier rifle next year when i am finished with my 300 RUM. I learned something else valuable atleast on the east side. Next year i am sitting on one of the lower ridges coming off the mountian till i find the deer i want and shoot then i will climb the wall to get to him. That choice is how i discovered longrangehunting.com. GOOD LUCK and keep at it its addicting...
__________________
My 10yr olds first whitetail 44 Mag 80 yds heart shot she made Daddy as proud as her...
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 11-19-2012, 12:46 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Washington State
Posts: 2,454
Re: High Buck Hunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 257WTBY View Post
I hunt WA to i did not do the high buck hunt this year i did early rifle up high on the east side. We packed in about 8 miles from the trail head. My pack and gun weighed in right at 63 lbs total. I scouted the area several times with a day pack and spotting scope. Even then this is area has a few big fuzzy mean bears so i packed along the 44 on each trip. We camped in the treeline by choice and hiked up high in the dark i used for the first time a rain fly and hammock. Will i do it again i am undecided. It was ok but i was kind of scared to move to much while i slept and one night we had a black bear in camp and i am not sure me flipping out of the hammock or the profanity that followed scared the bear the most. I will have a lighter pack but heavier rifle next year when i am finished with my 300 RUM. I learned something else valuable atleast on the east side. Next year i am sitting on one of the lower ridges coming off the mountian till i find the deer i want and shoot then i will climb the wall to get to him. That choice is how i discovered longrangehunting.com. GOOD LUCK and keep at it its addicting...
That's funny--the bear/hammock part...
__________________
In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. Genesis 1:1

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 11-19-2012, 11:35 AM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Carey, Idaho
Posts: 957
Re: High Buck Hunt

Okay, after seeing some of these packs and reading how much you are carrying---i am officially a wuss. I freely admit it. Thats the first step, right???
But 30 pounds works for me.
Next year, I am just going to hire timber338................

Randy
__________________
"Every man has a purpose---------mine is to be behind a rifle.........."

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than be in any city on earth." ---Steve McQueen
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 11-19-2012, 01:31 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Eastern WA
Posts: 90
Re: High Buck Hunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmden View Post
HellsCanyon, would you mind giving us a few of your equipment choices and why? Always trying to learn a few tips...
I'm not a gear expert by any means, but I know what works for me and I think I'm pretty sufficient with my gear choices...

First Aide: P-chord, superglue, and duct tape plus a few hydrocodone's left from a shoulder surgery... I see a lot of guys pack in more than a lb of first aide supplies, when for me, if I can't get it done with this stuff, then I'm probably screwed anyways... wouldn't be a bad idea to have a quick-clot packet though as well.

Sleeping system: Marmot Sawtooth 15* down bag (has served me well for a few years, but I'd like to upgrade soon)
Thermarest sleeping pad (not sure which model, its an older inflatable one that weighs just over 1 lb. Still going strong but could use an upgrade if going more often late season).
Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2. Borrowed for this years hunt, and while I like it, I think that I'll be going to modular system where I can have a stove and removable nest. Thinking about a Megatarp from Kifaru or going with a small tipi. I really like the pro's of floorless, but HATE not being sealed off from bugs. Have also debated running a complete floorless with a lightweight Event bivy, good R-value sleeping pad and a high quality down quilt. Haven't decided what I want to do for next year yet!

Pack: Kifaru Timberline 1 ~ 5 lbs 9 oz and compresses down for day pack use, and can haul more than I ever want to carry.
Cooking: Titanium pan, MSR Pocket-rocket stove
Clothes (I think this is where most people can cut a LOT of weight if they are smart...): Merino wool base layers (I have First Lite), Core4 Element pants, Kuiu gaitors, Russel "tundra" pulloverk, Kuiu Spindrift, Core4 Element Jacket, small packable rain poncho. I wear these same clothes every day. The merino keeps the stink down and I'm good to 30* pretty easily. Also have merino beanie and a cheap pair of gloves. Would like to swap out the C4 jacket with a Kuiu Chugach and drop the poncho this next year. I really like wearing that Spindrift for an outer layer if no precipitation and it dries really quick! That softshell is kind of pointless if in heavy winds or really wet conditions. The Chugach could double duty...
Boots: Hanwag Dakota's
Socks: Any type that are mainly merino wool. I like Lorpen and Smartwool. 2-3 pairs (if water is plentiful, take 2 and rinse the 2nd pair in their "off" day).
Water filter: Katydin hiker pro. Would like to swap to a Sawyer squeeze filter though to save a few ounces.
Rifle: 280 Ackley, HS PSS stock (HEAVY-39 ounces!), M24 contoured heavy fluted barrel (HEAVY), Seekins large brake, factory 700 LA, bottom metal and trigger, Viper PST FFP 6-24 scope. (this whole setup weighs just under 12 lbs without a bipod. Next year I should be toting an 8 lb rifle...

Food: I try to take food that allows me to only have to cook dinner. Taking along single serving peanut butter's, cliff bars, granola bars, fruit bars, dried mangos, snickers, tuna packets w/ triscuits for lunch, and a mountain house type dinner allows me to be up and rolling early in the morning. This year's Sept hunt I had around 2500 calories per day and less than 1.5 lbs of food per day. I could do that for about 3 days but after that I need more calories per day. I would like to shoot for around 3500 calories per day depending on duration and weather... Just remember to try and shoot for around 100 calories per ounce if looking at snack bars or snack food...etc Only exception I'll make here is for the fruit bars as they have more vitamins than others and they are pretty important!

Thats about all I can think of off the top of my head.

Mike
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: High Buck Hunt
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2012 Washington State High Buck Hunt jmden Trophy Photos 15 10-04-2012 11:38 AM
Washington State High Buck Hunt 2010 jmden Deer Hunting 24 09-27-2010 08:53 PM
High Buck Hunt in WA... jmden Deer Hunting 17 11-11-2009 08:42 PM
The western deer hunt that almost killed me! and the buck that? Coyboy Deer Hunting 9 10-28-2008 07:26 PM
2008 Mule Deer Hunt - The Fools Buck Rymart Long Range Hunting & Shooting 6 10-23-2008 09:31 PM

Current Poll
In the last 12 months, what was your longest rifle kill on big game?
0 to 200 yards - 25.92%
1,524 Vote
201 to 400 yards - 32.16%
1,891 Vote
401 to 600 yards - 23.08%
1,357 Vote
601 to 800 yards - 10.00%
588 Votes
801 to 1,000 yards - 3.91%
230 Votes
Over 1,000 yards - 4.93%
290 Votes
Total Votes: 5,880
You may not vote on this poll.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC