Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

high altitude stove

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2013, 01:50 PM

Re: high altitude stove

My experience as a backpacker and mountain climber using stoves up to 12,000' elv and on snow in warm to cold conditons. Avoid the liquid fuel stoves unless you are going on an expediton out of the country where you cannot find the Butane/Propane mix cartridges. Liquid is messy, slower to start and dangerous around your tent. I have had good results and no problems with the cartridge stoves. Use a wind shield. I buy the comercial MSR aluminum one and cut it down to fit. It only needs to go slightly above the bottom edge of the pot. 3/4 -1". I also cut a hole in the side to operate the valve. Do not fit it too tight around the pot or the stove will get too hot. leave about 3/4" clearance all around. Ventilation holes go around the bottom. I made a 1/4' plywood base for my stove about 6" diameter, cut some holes in it, install three metal hooks or clips so the stove base can be attached firmly. Keps your stove from turning over and makes leveling easier. This is a must on snow. I have found one cartridge lasts two people for 2 1/2 days cooking breakfast, dinner and hot drinks. so for one person 5 days. If melting snow triple the amount of fuel. Backpacker william.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:49 PM

[QUOTE=porkchop401;734194]Fellas , I am trying to figure out what stove to have in the pack when the truck parks and the hiking begins. I am planning on being by my self so carrying every thing in on my back , though I will probably be only about a mile and a half it is exstremely steep and all up hill. I wanted to hunt these areas this past season but was only able to hunt at the lower elevations and listen to bugles up there due to the needing to leave at 2:30am to make it up there buy daylight . Elevation is in the neighborhood of 11K and am not sure what will work best for mtn house meals (16/oz of boilling water) and need to be able to carry enough fuel for 4-5 days . Alcohol, butane ,hard fuel ect. your thoughts please.[

You cant go wrong with primus or optimus stoves from Sweden - solid, reliable - I have used an optimus white gas stove in the northern british columbia winter at minus 47 celsius - it needed pumping a few times during cooking, but did a great job in extreme cold. Also used it at 3500 metres (about 11500 feet) above sea level with no problems. I have friends who swear by MSR white gas stoves - they also seem very reliable, but the legs arent as strong as the primus or optimus. For cold weather or high altitude, white gas (naphtha) is the way to go. Dont get it on exposed skin in extreme cold though as it can cause frostbite.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:51 PM

white gas is the way to go. Optimus or primus - used both in extreme cold in northern BC winter. Also used optimus at about 3500 metres above sea level - no problems at any time - simple, reliable and robust