Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

high altitude stove

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2012, 05:14 PM
Bronze Member

Re: high altitude stove

These are getting great reviews Soto Micro Regulator Stove - Reviews and Price Comparison at Trailspace.com I'm going to try one next year
Tim
Old 12-24-2012, 05:37 PM
Silver Member

This is a great stove for high altitude, cold weather: MSR XGK EX Extreme Condition Stove

MSR is the best backpacking stove maker IMHO. The only downside to this stove is it doesn't simmer real low very well. It is a fuel miser, though. It would take one, or a maximum of two, bottles of fuel to meet your requirements and that would be cooking two meals per day.
Old 12-24-2012, 06:12 PM
Silver Member

I forgot to mention, whatever you do, DON'T get a Butane only stove! You will regret it if you get up there with a Butane stove.
Old 12-24-2012, 07:53 PM
Bronze Member

I've never had a problem with butane/propane stoves either at high altitude or cold weather(or both) you just need to but the 4 season fuel mix
Tim
Old 12-24-2012, 10:36 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim in Washington View Post
These are getting great reviews Soto Micro Regulator Stove - Reviews and Price Comparison at Trailspace.com I'm going to try one next year
Tim
This stove is a great stove. It has a burner head that spreads the flame out better than the MSR Micro Rocket and is fairly adjustable in case you wanted to actually cook something vs. just wanting a 'flame thrower' to boil water. It's one downside (and I own one and really like it) is its integral piezo lighter is known to fail. I've gone through a couple already. At 2.6 oz., no other stove has this kind of functionality that I know of at that weight. The regulator feature of this stove helps it work better in cold weather and throughout the life of a cannister than many other cannister stoves. Boil time is just under 4 minutes.

At 13.2 oz. the MSR XGK EX is several times heavier and larger in comparison. Just not an ultralight stove. Great stove, you can just get stoves with similar performacne in much smaller lighter packages. Boil time with white gas is 3.5 minutes. My entire cook kit (Soto OD-1R stove, fuel cannister, and Titan Teakettle) weighs as much as the MSR XGK EX.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 12-29-2012, 11:17 PM
Gold Member

I've been considering a new stove myself. I think I'm sold on the Jetboil. I think if I knew I'd be melting snow, I'd opt for a big pot like the Sumo.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:20 PM
Bronze Member

I run an MSR XGK with diesel fuel, or in colder areas Jet-A