Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Hand Gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2013, 03:22 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Hand Gun

The Glock model 20 in 10mm loaded with Buffalo Bore hardcast is quite a potent weapon. You are approaching 41 magnum energy and you have 15+1 rounds on tap. There are numerous guides here in Alaska that carry that combo for backup. I killed a black bear with a single shot to the head from a .41 magnum about 7 years ago....he dropped like a rock.

While not personally familiar with the .45 Super, on paper it comes close to the 10mm ballistically and I would not feel undergunned with it either. Don't get me wrong though...I would still prefer a rifle for stopping power.
Old 10-15-2013, 05:12 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteRiver View Post
The Glock model 20 in 10mm loaded with Buffalo Bore hardcast is quite a potent weapon. You are approaching 41 magnum energy and you have 15+1 rounds on tap. There are numerous guides here in Alaska that carry that combo for backup. I killed a black bear with a single shot to the head from a .41 magnum about 7 years ago....he dropped like a rock.

While not personally familiar with the .45 Super, on paper it comes close to the 10mm ballistically and I would not feel undergunned with it either. Don't get me wrong though...I would still prefer a rifle for stopping power.
The two are very close ballistically. The major difference is a 220 vs a 255. If I have no rifle with me then the obvious choice for me is a 44 running 300 gr LBT's. But as a backup I'm good with the glock, it's quite a bit lighter and works well for me.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:39 PM
Gold Member

Oh I'd sure put my life into 781ft. Lbs. energy. At the muzzle.. You say close range and four accurate rounds... No such thing with a charging grizzly and close range. Good luck with that. Grizzlies must be smaller then the ones we have here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPGfan View Post
Your assumption is wrong. It has plenty of energy at close range for a grizzly. Sorry I don't suffer from magnumitus. I'll have 4 accurately placed shots down the tube before you recover from the recoil of your hand cannon. To each they're own let's leave it at that.

Riley: "Biggest fail of 2014 so far..."
http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...72/index4.html
Old 10-15-2013, 07:44 PM
Platinum Member

I've never seen a Thompson Contender in .45-70 recommended yet in one of these threads. I take that to mean the capability of follow up shot's is important to most of us. How a person plans to cover their behind is their choice, and there isn't a lot of science backing up the choices. Currently in the few instances it's reviewed pepper spray is better than a firearm. Science has it's limits, and I ain't betting on seasoning to stop anything. I've seen a bear get up off the deck well hit with a .375 H&H, he didn't last long but in that few seconds it was an incredible display of tenacity, and athleticism. I'd pick the .375 H&H rifle ahead of any handgun I've seen.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:04 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARPERC View Post
I'd pick the .375 H&H rifle ahead of any handgun I've seen.
+1 great pounder!!

Riley: "Biggest fail of 2014 so far..."
http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...72/index4.html
Old 10-17-2013, 07:33 PM

I like to carry my desert Eagle 44mag. All Black Bear country here in AZ
Old 10-17-2013, 07:43 PM
Platinum Member

Model 27 long barrel in blue. It just scares them away...........