Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Guns your packing in with??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-09-2008, 05:43 PM
Platinum Member

Could you give us the specs and a pic of that 7 lb. 300RUM of yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brambles View Post
Not really a "LongRange" mainly because I don't have the huge scope on it but its a rifle but I built it for backpack hunting. I live in the Rocky Mountans of British Columbia and lightweight gear and Rifles is what I like.

Its a

-Remington m700 Titanium Action,
-trued and squared
-match recoil lug
-Lothar Walther SS Featherweight contour barrel 23.125
-Chambered in 280 Ackley Improved
-11 deg Target crown
-Tubbs titanium firing pin, aluminum shroud and match spring
-Factory trigger set to 3.5 lbs
-MPI Nitro Ultralight stock finished at 17 ounces
-Pillar bedded and glass bedded
-Talley one piece Rings/Bases
-Leupold VXII ultralite scope long range duplex reticle
-BDL bottom metal

weighs 5 lbs 10 ounces with the scope and is a dream to carry all day long.
I do all my own stock work so most of my rifles get new stock, restocking with aftermarket stock gets pretty reasonable $$$ when you do all work yourself.

Other backpack rifle projects on the go are a
-Remington Titanium 260 Rem, trying to get to under 5lbs scoped
-Wildcat stocked M700 CDL SF 7mm-08 7lbs scoped
-Bansner stocked M700 300 ultra mag, 7lbs scoped

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl

Unread 07-09-2008, 05:45 PM
Platinum Member

No, it's the laminated Remington 'LSS' stock that the rifle came with. I just lightened it a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tippet View Post
JMDen, what make is the stock? Is that a Richard's?

LOL I know this thread is kinda old but what the heck.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Unread 07-12-2008, 06:06 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmden View Post
Could you give us the specs and a pic of that 7 lb. 300RUM of yours?

Sorry I just sold it and don't have any pictures. I never got it down to the 7lbs scoped, I was going to swap out the barrel for a lighter one but I sold it before that could happen
Unread 07-12-2008, 08:23 AM
Silver Member

all my hunting is 'backpack' hunting,

My current main rifle is my remington 700 stainless with aftermarket laminate stock, in .270win. It has a leupold vxiii 3.5-10x40 in talley rings with an anti-cant level, jard trigger and weighs around 7.5lbs scoped. 24" barrel shoots 140gr Accubonds at 3,000+ for .75MOA

My other rifle, which is definitely not for long range, is still getting built but it is based on a remington model 7 action, 20" stainless MAB barrel, chambered in 6x45mm(6mm223), 1:8" twist and factory model 7 contour. It will be bedded into the aforementioned high-tech stock, with a Leupold Mk4 2.5-8x36 M2 in talley rings

Last edited by petenz; 07-30-2008 at 09:56 PM.
Unread 12-17-2008, 04:57 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Guns your packing in with??

I use a Sako .338 Win Mag loaded with either 225 grn Hornady SP or 300 grn SMK's depending on the game.

Rifle weighs about 9.5 lb which I feel is a bit heavy. As such will be building a lighter rifle in the future. Any ideas.
Unread 12-17-2008, 09:28 AM
Silver Member

Not sure about posting here yet. Having lived and hunted in Alaska most of the past 30 plus years weight is very critical. 2-10 mile hikes day after day are the norm. Heavy brush, hang up guns and when one is tired the brush is a giant pain. Many years ago I always carried a Contender handgun and a rifle because I like hunting with handguns. Since TC came out with the Encore I can now carry a 5.4 pound handgun with a braked 17" barrel/plus 1.5" for brake. I hunt with either a 35 Newton or a rimmed 338 Gibbs using 180 grain Accubonds in the later. 3 X 12 Burris handgun scope tops it off.

The gun is slinged, hooks over the upright posts on my external frame pack. Does not hang on anything either with a butt stock nor the barrel which is lower than my frame upright. I regularly practice to 600 yards and the two guns I specifically go too will shoot 3" at that range.

ANother option for long gun hunters is to put on a synthetic buttstock with adds another pound I hear.

Neal
Unread 12-17-2008, 05:56 PM
Silver Member

I've been packing a custom built Remington 700 in 300 weatherby. It has a 26 in barrel and a leupold MK4 4.5-14x40 sitting on top of it. While this is not the lightest rifle (coming in around 14 lbs). It certainly gets the job done for me.