Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Guns your packing in with??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2008, 09:06 PM
Bronze Member

Guns I pack

I pack a 17" barreled Encore pistol in 338 Gibbs. Using 180 grain Accubond at 2800fps. With Bi-pods I have taken game to 350 yards and weights right at 6 pounds .
My external frame pack and gear for one week weighs 42 pounds.

Old 01-11-2008, 01:13 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338hammer View Post
I pack a 17" barreled Encore pistol in 338 Gibbs. Using 180 grain Accubond at 2800fps. With Bi-pods I have taken game to 350 yards and weights right at 6 pounds .
My external frame pack and gear for one week weighs 42 pounds.

There's a way to save some weight.

What other gear do you use to go out for a week at 42 pounds? That's pretty good.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 01-11-2008, 10:48 AM
Bronze Member

Guns I pack with

This maybe should be on the other thread and I suppose I can move it there. If needed.

First I have several old camp trails freighter packs set up for various applications. Goat and sheep is my long distance setup.
1. One pair of socks for each day in the field. Vacuum sealed
2. Helly Hansen light weight soft rain gear
3. Very good grade down 10X type down vest
4. Mountain house freeze dried foods for number of days out plus 5
5. Pre-bagged home mixed trail mix cold ceral with brown sugar and powdered milk in each bag. Number of days plus 5!
6. Re-package box of pilot bread with cheese-frozen and vacuumed and meatcold cuts frozen and repackaged.
7. KEY: Various Odwalla meal replacement bars!
8. Depending on time of year a lightweight all wool change of clothing(except undies) on my body and another vacuum sealed in my pack.
9. Silk unders and cold weather undies.
10. Sierra Design extreme 3 man mountain tent ( 4 Season)
11. Kelty ultra bag two different depending on time of year
12KEY: Thermorest 3/4 length back packer pad
13. Knap saw
14> First aid/survival kit including antibiotic and suture kit.
15. Cook gear is always 1 quart bottle of liquid fuel and packpacker burner-several different styles.
August / Sept hunt pack weighs 32 pounds. Late season or prudoe bay it weighs 42 pounds.

I have to weigh this setup every time I fly into the back country.

Old 01-11-2008, 04:17 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338hammer View Post
This maybe should be on the other thread and I suppose I can move it there. If needed.

First I have several old camp trails freighter packs set up for various applications. Goat and sheep is my long distance setup.
1. One pair of socks for each day in the field. Vacuum sealed
2. Helly Hansen light weight soft rain gear
3. Very good grade down 10X type down vest
4. Mountain house freeze dried foods for number of days out plus 5
5. Pre-bagged home mixed trail mix cold ceral with brown sugar and powdered milk in each bag. Number of days plus 5!
6. Re-package box of pilot bread with cheese-frozen and vacuumed and meatcold cuts frozen and repackaged.
7. KEY: Various Odwalla meal replacement bars!
8. Depending on time of year a lightweight all wool change of clothing(except undies) on my body and another vacuum sealed in my pack.
9. Silk unders and cold weather undies.
10. Sierra Design extreme 3 man mountain tent ( 4 Season)
11. Kelty ultra bag two different depending on time of year
12KEY: Thermorest 3/4 length back packer pad
13. Knap saw
14> First aid/survival kit including antibiotic and suture kit.
15. Cook gear is always 1 quart bottle of liquid fuel and packpacker burner-several different styles.
August / Sept hunt pack weighs 32 pounds. Late season or prudoe bay it weighs 42 pounds.

I have to weigh this setup every time I fly into the back country.

OK, so that doesn't include water, gun and optics weight, right?

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 01-11-2008, 04:41 PM
Bronze Member

The 6 pound handgun I carry has a 3-12 LIR scope and I carry a Nikon or Leupold 10X bino around my neck. I carry a $100. micro-wave water purifier that weighs very little and a 1 liter water bottle attached (beaner)to the outside of my pack. Lashed under the bag flap is one of two ultr-light spotting scopes to 45 power. Think either one weighs 2-3 pounds.

Two things I have found very important and are carried in my shirt or coat pocket is a 2000 degree mini torch/lighter and a compass with a plastic wrapped/laminated map of the area if the area is new to me.

Old 01-23-2008, 07:20 PM
Bronze Member

I guess I am like 338Hammer, I carry a Encore 17 in bull barrel pistol in 375 jdj, it will take of anything it has to. I only use a 1.5-4 Burris scope.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:04 PM
Silver Member

Gun to pack with

I've been packing in my solo camp from our main camp at 8000 up to 10,000 ft. with enough gear for a two day hunt and carrying my 300 win mag, rem 700, with a Leupold 4.5-14x40 and a bipod. I love the gun but the older I get the heavier it gets. The next time I pack in for Mule deer I'll be using my Tikka T3 Light 25-06 with another Leupold. With the Berger 115 VLD it shoots long and flat. This saves me 3 lbs. Good luck.
Tim