Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Guns your packing in with??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2007, 04:13 PM
Bronze Member

I have been serious backpack hunting for 35 years and after this past season am reconsidering my rifle. I have always packed a 12-14 pound long range rifle built on a wby mk 5 action which is heavy. For years now it has been a 338-378 wby. Early on hunting/guiding only after seeing 50 or so elk shot I realized the smaller calibers were definitely not made for big elk. So I switched from the 7mm/300 wby class and everything else small caliber necked off the standard magnums and carried the big heavy rifle. I am a big guy at 6'3" 220 and it just didn't bother me until age caught up with me.

So now I am rethinking this thing again to shave several pounds off my rifle I have got to shave a few hundred yards off my range. The overbore magnums all need barrel length or suffer greatly so I am looking again at the larger calibers where barrel length has less effect. Rethinking all the hunting through the years most times I could cut the range to 650 or so yards. So I'm looking at that range and a light rifle. The short mags on a short action with a 26" barrel look good to me. There are getting to be better 8mm bullets and that one wouldn't lose much in velocity or just necking a 8mm to 338 for the better bullets. I figure by next year they will offer a 338 if they don't already have one. I haven't looked so I don't know.

Also I could easily shoot this one without a brake so that would also help a little. I have seen some amazing shots with the 338 win mag through the years if I wanted to lengthen the action a little over the short mag. I have a super trophy backpack deer area and thinking about necking the short mag to 264 and take advantage of some super BC bullets in that caliber. I had a friend years ago who had good success with the 300 wby necked to 264 years ago until he tried it on elk. I think for deer it or the high BC 7mm bullets might be a good one.

Keep us advised as you research this thing. I am looking to. I have about a hundred custom rifles in about any popular wildcat you could imagine but the short mag stuff wasn't around when I did all of those. I have had great luck with the Gibbs line and they will virtually equal the standard magnums performance but still that is a standard action based off the '06 case. Weighs a few more ounces than the short action.
Old 12-18-2007, 06:30 PM
Gold Member

WyomingShooter,
I am having a 7WSM built for that same reason. You can shoot a 168gr Berger VLD's with a BC of .643 at 2900-3000fps. It should just be the ticket for long range mulies.
If you need help carrying your rifle up to those trophy mulies, let me know.
Old 12-19-2007, 12:47 AM
Bronze Member

I agree, that high of a BC at that velocity would be a good one for backpacking high country mulies. I have no experience with the short mags and have no idea what velocities I can get with them. I was looking at that 142 match king in 264 and hoping to get 3200 out of it in the short mag but have no idea if that is possible. I have volumous personal loading and shooting data on most popular wildcats based off the 220 swift, 250 savage, 30-06, standard magnums, ultramags, and 378 wby cases. But I have not done a thing with the short mags so now I got something else to play with I guess.

Keep me advised on your progress with the 7mm. I really like that setup. There are a few hard to reach places in this state where a few mulies can grow old but it takes a man to get there and a real man to get a big gun up there. Not going to see many deer but for a guy who has shot a ton of them and just wants a chance at a monster they are good spots. I just need a super light rifle to do it right. But the shots are typically long, at or above timberline and most times you just can't get any closer. So I guess I am looking for the lightest gun that can shoot the furthest.

I saw two bucks fighting this year while elk hunting that were both well over 30". They were above timberline hanging just under a craggy rim with no way to approach from the bottom. The only way would have been over the top of those crags and mountain climbing gear would probably have been appropriate. If deer season had of been in I would have tried it but with that big 338-378 it would have been a load. Then when I got there I could have killed either with a 243 at 200 yards. But most situations up there you climb the high rims and peak over and the shots are where they are. Point blank to eternity and typically no way to get closer because of straight down rocks and such. You just shoot him, then figure how to get up from the bottom.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:41 AM
Gold Member

I should get my 7WSM in a few months then I will put it throught it's paces.
There are many guys on the site that have already been shooting it.
Just make a post requesting 7WSM info and search some previous posts and you will find more info than you can imagine.
The lightest rifle I have built so far is a 6.5 WSSM, I built on a win wssm action. I shoot 130 VLD's at 3000fps and can go to 3100+ no problem. The 130 VLD's have the same BC as the 142 SMK's. The only thing is that I have to load it single shot since they are loaded way longer than mag length. It is a great little cartridge.

The 6.5 WSM would work great for you, but the 7WSM is what I feel is the best use of the short mags ballistic capabilities. I like the extra oomph the heavier 7mm bullets give you, especially on larger animals. Not sure if it is necessary, but it makes me feel better. The 7WSM should also give better barrel life.
I had the good fortune of hunting in Idaho last year and shot a decent 5x5 mulie.

Last edited by RockZ; 12-19-2007 at 10:00 AM. Reason: typos
Old 12-19-2007, 10:55 AM
Platinum Member

I use a factory Mod 70 26" Black Shadow 7mm RemMag with Nikon 3-9x40BDC and Hornady 139SST Heavy Mag ammo. It aint light to carry.

Gonna buy a grocers scale soon and weigh all my guns.

I've been thinking of finding a 600 or 660 Rem or a Mod 7 to try and trim some weight for longer hikes, maybe in 7mm-08 or something. Maybe even in 243 cal as my wife has a 243 she likes a lot, then for elk I'd just use the Hornady Lite Mag ammo in it. 2008 will see how this all shakes out. I like my Mod 70 so much I hate to think of using other rifles, tho I have more than my gun cab will hold now. Guess I need to get a good pic of it posted.

NRA Life Member
Old 12-24-2007, 11:30 PM
Silver Member

M70 300WM weighs about 9.5lbs as pictured.

M7 243w weighs 7.2lbs as pictured.

One needn't a 15 pound gun to kill at distance. Nor do you need a 15x scope...
Old 01-03-2008, 10:22 AM
Platinum Member

I lug my Mod 70 26" 7mm RemMag with Nikon BDC 3-9x40. And I LOVE IT.
Not the lightest rig but certainly not 15#. Am thinking on getting a Remmy Mod 7 in 7mm-08 with Leupy 2-7x32 as I move kicking and screaming to the 'old fart' stage of life. Doc now says both me and my rifle need to shed some pounds. With a light rifle I can carry more food or ammo.

NRA Life Member