Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

"Good Wool Socks"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2009, 06:48 PM
Platinum Member

Re: "Good Wool Socks"

I work outside all winter long in ND. We had some -45 temps before windchill. I wear a cabelas ultimax merino wool socks and 600gram redwing boots. I am a blaster so I walk and load holes all day long.

Merino wool socks and the underarmour face mask were worth every penny for me last winter.

Brent

"The will to win, compares little with the will to prepare to win" Donovan Moran
Old 08-17-2009, 10:00 PM
Bronze Member

Cabelas Outfitter Series Merino Wool/Polypropelyne Blend. Coems in 3 weights. I wear the lightweight al summer long with Oakley Tactical boots, and the heavyweight in the winter with my Danner (uninsulated) Acadia's. Hunt in both weights depending on the conditions.

It can top 110 degrees in the summer and drop below zero in the winter. Being stuck on a perimeter at night in the dead of winter on a SWAT call out will let you know where your gear lacks! for udner $10 a pair I love these socks.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:20 PM
Platinum Member

BRIDGEDALE - Best in the industry. Talk to those in the industry and many will say that about these socks. After 20+ years of technical alpine climbing and many miles in the backcountry hunting and hiking, they are my go to sock. SmartWool and Thorlo, etc.? Good socks. Bridgedale? Great socks.

Bridgedale Socks Men's Endurance Summit Socks - FREE SHIPPING at Altrec.com

This summit sock is my choice for hunting/climbing.

Put a Bridgedale coolmax liner under the summit sock and you'll be good to go.

Bridgedale Socks Men's Coolmax Liner Socks (2 Pack) - FREE SHIPPING at Altrec.com

Didn't mean to plug altrec.com. Just the first site that came up, however, a good buddy of mine is a VP there. Help 'em out!

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 09-02-2009, 10:21 PM
Bronze Member

i also like the danner brand wool socks . i have several for cold and warm weather , they run around 10 $ pair . but are very high quality .
Old 09-03-2009, 11:37 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmden View Post
BRIDGEDALE - Best in the industry. Talk to those in the industry and many will say that about these socks. After 20+ years of technical alpine climbing and many miles in the backcountry hunting and hiking, they are my go to sock. SmartWool and Thorlo, etc.? Good socks. Bridgedale? Great socks.

Bridgedale Socks Men's Endurance Summit Socks - FREE SHIPPING at Altrec.com

This summit sock is my choice for hunting/climbing.

Put a Bridgedale coolmax liner under the summit sock and you'll be good to go.

Bridgedale Socks Men's Coolmax Liner Socks (2 Pack) - FREE SHIPPING at Altrec.com

Didn't mean to plug altrec.com. Just the first site that came up, however, a good buddy of mine is a VP there. Help 'em out!
Jmden, these look like good socks, how bulky are they? My Smartwool ski socks are not like other smartwool boot socks. They are not at all bulky, very warm and cushioned. Have you tried the smartwool ski socks and if so how do they compare to the Bridgedale's?

Last edited by MontanaRifleman; 09-03-2009 at 11:40 PM.